Views on Gretn

Chat about football matters whether or not they relate to Peterhead FC
mazoo
S-Form

Views on Gretn

Post by mazoo » Thu Mar 30, 2006 9:59 am

Freelance journalist looking for views on Gretna's success. Any help greatly appreciated.

"The Heid"
Reserve Team Sub

Post by "The Heid" » Thu Mar 30, 2006 11:01 am

Money, Money and more Money...
They have spent their money well in that they bought players good enough for the 2nd Div whilst in the 3rd and got out comfortably. Pre going up to the 2nd they bought in 1st div calibre players, hence they have breezed the 2nd div. Question now is can the players they have take them on to the Premier? If not can they attract (still willing to splash the cash) a better grade of player again? Most other teams without the money they have have to fight to get out of a division and then buy better players if they get up. Gretna have been able to be a step ahead. I wasn't sure initially about Rowan Alexander. In the early days in the 3rd it looked like it was purely money that was getting them anywhere. However I have to admit that he is handling the signings and transition of his teams particularly well. They are a good footballing team with a hard edge when needed.
We've had a good rivalry with Gretna and I believe that we have just about managed to hold on to their coat tails with a fraction of the cash available. Now may see them disapear over our horizon...
However I wish them well and hope they can go all the way and establish themselves as a Premier outfit.

balmoor-blue
Youth Team Captain

Post by balmoor-blue » Thu Mar 30, 2006 6:14 pm

would agree with most of what was contained in the previous message but I think we should also congratulate all involved at Gretna for their ambition and drive in getting successive promotions.

no doubt it will be much tougher from now on and it will be interesting to see how far they can progress - suppose it depends on the owner and how much he is willing to invest.

can't help making the comparison with Livingston - not a great fan base but plenty of financial backing up to SPL level - just hope for Gretna's sake that they can maintain things once they hit the level playing field.

Drummonds Drammer
Former Prediction King!
Supports: Peterhead

Post by Drummonds Drammer » Fri Mar 31, 2006 6:40 am

They may keep progressing for a while but give it 5-7years and they will be back in the 2nd or maybe 3rd Division along side us. :!:

Know your long term limitations Gretna :twisted:
The plural of 'you' my southern friends is(believe it or not).......YOU.

ThirdMcIntyreO'Hara
Youth Team Captain

Post by ThirdMcIntyreO'Hara » Fri Mar 31, 2006 8:54 am

Think you're being a bit hasty, DD. Brooks Mileson is a multi-millionaire & Gretna is his passion, not his hobby that he'll get fed up wit. He is in it for the long haul & has made it known that his money will carry on supporting the team even when he's gone. I've spoken to him a few times & he is a great bloke who loves his football & is very much a fan. He does not do the wealthy director, suit & tie, drinks in the Boardroom thing & rather drinks in the social clubs with the fans & stands on the terraces. He does not flaunt his wealth & is very down to earth & he loves Peterhead FC & what it has done since joining the league with nowhere near Gretna's backing. They will succeed & stay in the top two leagues now. It all depends now on what players Rowan Alexander signs & how they gel to allow them to reach the SPL. Remember, money does not guarantee success if the right players are not bought. Well done Gretna and let's hope they go on to challenge the Old Firm & Hearts & Hibs as it can only make Scottish football healthier.
The best forward line EVER!

Raydale Rascal
S-Form

Post by Raydale Rascal » Sat Apr 15, 2006 4:35 pm

We are ace, we are going places (SPL, Scottish Cup Final, Europe), we'll better what Livi did. But your team are heading no where except the dizzy heights of the Division Two play offs. I'll laugh when you are back in Division Three and we are in the SPL and playing in Europe. :lol:

Gretna God
S-Form

Post by Gretna God » Sat Apr 15, 2006 4:38 pm

Peterhead belong in the highland league with their bigger neighbours Fraserburgh & Elgin!

"The Heid"
Reserve Team Sub

Post by "The Heid" » Sat Apr 15, 2006 7:00 pm

I, nae doubt you'll be top dogs , however I note that Gretna will do all these wonderful feats without you pair of stay at home "fans".. Posts at 4.30 ish while the match was on.. Then again it was maybe a bit to far to travel.. Well it's a hell of a lot further to Europe ya pair of tubes....

Gretna
S-Form

Post by Gretna » Sat Apr 15, 2006 7:54 pm

[quote=""The Heid""]I, nae doubt you'll be top dogs , however I note that Gretna will do all these wonderful feats without you pair of stay at home "fans".. Posts at 4.30 ish while the match was on.. Then again it was maybe a bit to far to travel.. Well it's a hell of a lot further to Europe ya pair of tubes....[/quote]

I couldn't have put it better myself mate! :ovation:

Last edited by Gretna on Sat Apr 15, 2006 7:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bluetooner
Reserve Team Captain

Post by Bluetooner » Sat Apr 15, 2006 7:57 pm

[quote=""The Heid""]I, nae doubt you'll be top dogs , however I note that Gretna will do all these wonderful feats without you pair of stay at home "fans".. Posts at 4.30 ish while the match was on.. Then again it was maybe a bit to far to travel.. Well it's a hell of a lot further to Europe ya pair of tubes....[/quote]

I have a feeling they are not Gretna fans at all ;)
COME ON THE BLUE TOON

Barry

Gretna
S-Form

Post by Gretna » Sat Apr 15, 2006 8:01 pm

Bluetooner wrote:[quote=""The Heid""]I, nae doubt you'll be top dogs , however I note that Gretna will do all these wonderful feats without you pair of stay at home "fans".. Posts at 4.30 ish while the match was on.. Then again it was maybe a bit to far to travel.. Well it's a hell of a lot further to Europe ya pair of tubes....
I have a feeling they are not Gretna fans at all ;)[/quote]

Aye or maybe they're some of the wee neds that are banned from the supporters club?

Bluetooner
Reserve Team Captain

Post by Bluetooner » Sat Apr 15, 2006 8:05 pm

The use of fraserburgh to me suggests that they are "northerners" :)
COME ON THE BLUE TOON

Barry

Gretna
S-Form

Post by Gretna » Sat Apr 15, 2006 8:16 pm

Aye you could be right :lol:

scotty broon
Reserve Team Captain

Post by scotty broon » Sat Apr 15, 2006 8:41 pm

Bluetooner wrote:The use of fraserburgh to me suggests that they are "northerners" :)
Probably right there. :lol:

Detected a faint waft of keech oft associated with the broch. :D

Or they really are just'tubes' :roll:

Nev
The Boss

Post by Nev » Sun Apr 16, 2006 8:41 pm

Bluetooner wrote:The use of fraserburgh to me suggests that they are "northerners" :)
Non-Ibrox attedning Aberdeen fans, by the looks of things :roll: