Back in 3rd place

Chat about football matters whether or not they relate to Peterhead FC
Catweasel
Youth Team Starter
Supports: Peterhead

Back in 3rd place

Post by Catweasel » Sat Apr 01, 2006 5:09 pm

The results certainly fell for us today.

Could not get to the game - stuck in Lagos. What was the performace like?
Who played in place of Tully?
Last time at Balmoor I realised .... I am not a polar bear!!

LangToun Loon
Reserve Team Sub

Post by LangToun Loon » Sat Apr 01, 2006 5:42 pm

At the beginning of the game, the back four were Cameron, Perry, Buchan, Shand. Midfield was Sharp, Gibson, Nicol, Youngson. Linn and Wood were up front.

Bobby went off after half an hour – he took a heavy knock with Bav coming on in his place.

Stewartie changed things at half time. Good came on in place of Gibson who had taken a knock and I think we went to a 3-5-2 formation at that point with Jamie pushed into midfield. Neil Stephen made his debut with 30 mins left, replacing Shand.

In the 1st half we were pretty dire and when Morton scored you felt that they were capable of getting more. Our equaliser came after their keeper came for a corner and could only parry the cross to Sharp who, from about 20 yards, stroked the ball over everyone’s head. After that, we had a spell where Morton were completely rattled. Bav was a bit lucky with the rebound to get the second and only a couple of minutes later, he should have had another when he had time a space to pick his spot. To be fair, it was a great save from their keeper.

We’ve taken 7 of the 12 points from Morton this season which is tremendous and we’re now in a great position to secure a play-off spot.

Blueblazer
Three-time Prediction King!

Post by Blueblazer » Sat Apr 01, 2006 5:47 pm

Battling performance to pick up three points.We started with Shand at right back and Fred moving into Tully's position. An even start and the deadlock was broken by a vicious dipping twenty five yarder by Morton's Walker. No chance for Mathers although he might have been blinded by the sun. :wink: The game then went flat with Morton happy with their lead and us unable to raise the tempo. Linn went off carrying a knock, Bavidge was the sub. Gibson didn't appear for the second half, again looked like he took a knock in what was a rather physical game. Good came on in defence and Jamie moved to midfield. The second half started much the same until a stroke of tactical genius by Stewartie. He took off an out of sorts Shand and put on new boy Neil Stephen and went with three at the back - Stephen, Fred, Good. The equaliser came when a corner was only cleared to the edge of the box and Sharp showed that he can do dipping shots too as his shot went over the defenders and into the net. A through ball to Bavidge and a shot against the keeper was netted at the second attempt to make it 2-1.

A hard won three points sets us up for Gretna next week and the other results went our way too. An excellent debut for Neil Stephen. Big and strong he certainly didn't look out of place at this level and could be a good asset for the club.
Blueblazer :
Prediction League Champion 2002/2003; 2006/2007; 2013/2014

LangToun Loon
Reserve Team Sub

Post by LangToun Loon » Sat Apr 01, 2006 7:11 pm

When Nicol was booked for diving in the penalty box, did anyone else notice that ref appeared to show him a yellow card followed closely by a red and point to the dressing room? He seemed to change his mind and after a bit of conversation with Kevin, he showed the yellow again and the game continued. Strange.

Blueblazer

Post by Blueblazer » Sat Apr 01, 2006 7:28 pm

I think the ref thought that Nicol had been booked previously and that the "dive" was his second booking. He then realised his mistake.

Another odd thing today was that we appear to have swapped dugouts. Any reason for this?
Blueblazer :
Prediction League Champion 2002/2003; 2006/2007; 2013/2014

LangToun Loon
Reserve Team Sub

Post by LangToun Loon » Sat Apr 01, 2006 7:32 pm

BlueBlazer wrote:Another odd thing today was that we appear to have swapped dugouts. Any reason for this?
I noticed this too. I'd be interested to know why this happened. Is it just a one-off or a permanent switch?

bonzo
Reserve Team Captain

Post by bonzo » Sun Apr 02, 2006 4:26 am

Great result from the boys, or should i be saying Men.

On looking at what they are saying on the Ton website, it was defo a game of 2 halves. It shows great character to turn things around, and grind out the result.

In the words of a great philosopher ""Fandabeedozie""
They're looking at me and I'm saying, it's not me, it's not me!!

ELLON BRANCH
International Regular

Post by ELLON BRANCH » Sun Apr 02, 2006 6:16 am

A great way to respond to last weeks set-back, lets keep it going, other results were a bonus but the play-offs are now in our own hands. Away at work for yesterday & next week but that was the only dissapointing thing i could see about yesterday was only 800 & odd again at the game ,considering Morton always have a good few with them what are the folk in Peterhead getting up to on a saturday afternoons to keep them away from what is a entertaining & successful team on their doorstep. Unfortunatly will be away for the play-offs as well, but will be interested to see how many suddenly appear then although as usual they will be more than welcome

Alan

Post by Alan » Sun Apr 02, 2006 12:51 pm

Great result against our favourite opponents. The Morton record at Balmoor is played 5, lost 5. Can we play them every week? A play off place against Morton would be a money spinner for us so let`s not blow it big time. The game yesterday was not a classic but the team dug in late on to grind out a priceless victory which was probably harsh on Morton who should have been more than one goal ahead before we scored. Had Martin Bavidge added a third, which looked likely, it would have just rubbed salt in to the visitors wounds. Good debut by Neil Stephen and Ian Good is a welcome sight in defence once again. Keep it up lads.

balmoor-blue
Youth Team Captain

Post by balmoor-blue » Sun Apr 02, 2006 7:04 pm

quite a few interesting aspects about the game v Morton:

- strange to see the change of dugouts especially so late in the season and not sure what the reason would be?

- referee showed a yellow then red to Nicol and indicated for him to leave the field but after protests from both Nicol and the nearest Peterhead players the ref then looked at his pocket book and having already put his cards back in his pocket, he then produced the yellow card again and allowed the game to continue - almost a massive error!
(by the way, no excuse for diving even if its your own team)

- impressive debut for Neil Stephen who didn't put a foot wrong after his introduction from the bench and he seems to have the height and presence that we have been so badly lacking at the back.

- well done to Stewartie for making a decisive change when it was needed and introducing both Good and Stephen in the second half (hopefully this was a tactical decision and not down to injuries).

- after experimenting with our two most creative midfielders, Buchan and Cameron, at the back hopefully the penny will now have dropped that we need real defenders at the back ie Perry,Tully,Stephen and Good which will allow us to release these players into midfield.

- finally the pace of Sharp and the power of Bavidge are obviously our most potent attacking weapons and if we are going to have a real go at the playoffs then some difficult decisions will have to be made about what our best attacking line-up is.

"The Heid"
Reserve Team Sub

Post by "The Heid" » Sun Apr 02, 2006 7:10 pm

generally agree there, however the comment re Buchan playing at the back and penny dropping. That formation saw us through a period that hoisted us into the position we are in now. Yes Buchan is a better Midfielder, however you can't really argue with the effectiveness of playing him at the back...

akie
Former Prediction King!

Post by akie » Sun Apr 02, 2006 7:26 pm

any word on wee bobetos injury :(
whats the matter you hey
gotta no respect hey
awshadupayaface

Nev
The Boss

Post by Nev » Sun Apr 02, 2006 7:29 pm

Re the Nicol incident, there's a photo which looks like it shows the defender making contact with Nicol, but these things can always be misinterpreted. It'll be up on the website tomorrow afternoon at some point.

It seemed from my angle that there was contact, but Nicol made sure his fall took him into the penalty area, and seemed to turn and say something to the referee. It was probably that action which made the ref think it was a dive.

The "booking/red card" that followed was strange, but I think a genuine error. The referee did have a word with Kevin for a challenge just after Morton's Greacen was booked, so that could be where the confusion arose.

LangToun Loon
Reserve Team Sub

Post by LangToun Loon » Mon Apr 03, 2006 12:13 pm

I was standing behind the goal and Nicol was running straight towards us. There may well have been some contact and the tackle was from behind but Kevin did make the most of it. The way the ball broke, he would have been better getting on with the game as it was a great opportunity to extend our lead.

On the red card incident, I would agree it probably goes back to the start of the game where Greacen was booked after only 5 mins. Nicol was involved in a heavy challenge shortly after that and the Morton support was shouting for things to be evened up. I’m sure it crossed the ref’s mind to show him a card but he didn’t so when he went for his pocket to book Nicol for diving, he thought that he’d already taken his name.

balmoor-blue
Youth Team Captain

Post by balmoor-blue » Mon Apr 03, 2006 9:31 pm

good point made here.

I also thought that Nicol made the wrong decision to go to ground as there appeared to be a great chance to score with the blue shirts outnumbering the Morton defence.

But difficult to criticise and a great comeback win!