Good old days

Chat about football matters whether or not they relate to Peterhead FC
Jonblue
Reserve Team Regular
Supports: Peterhead

Re: Good old days

Post by Jonblue » Fri Apr 08, 2011 9:59 pm

Question for popeye. Trawling through your excellent old posts again, you listed a J McDonald FGH as playing in a Buchan XI on the 5th April 1949 against a full strength Celtic team. Could you have made a error? Could the player the player in fact have been Aiistair (Sandy) McDonald?

Jonblue
Reserve Team Regular

Post by Jonblue » Fri Apr 08, 2011 10:00 pm

Sorry, meant to say Alistair ( Sandy) McDonald!

popeye
International Captain

Post by popeye » Sat Apr 09, 2011 7:33 am

Thanks for yoy interest Jonblue -Re your McDonald queerie - The time period since 1949 makes it difficult for myself to be certain of the players first name. However the 'J' first name initial would be there for a reason and I would suspect it to be for James or John and if I had to quess I would favour the later- Also the nick-name 'Yankee' keeps buzzing around in my ravaged memory cells. Also lurking tere in the dark recesses is the name 'Bonzo- lanky rumbustious winger from the mid-50's 'Might he to have been of the McDonald clan ? Back to J McDonald -My memory of th players is that he was of slight build and speedy

As a youngster in those days I can remember it said that he was fortunate to get into the select in preference to Peterhead's Willie Paterson and it was reasoned then that efforts were made by the selectors to have the Fraserburgh representation in the team brought up to reasonable levelI.
If you can authenticate your view regarding 'Alistair (Sandy)' I wil be happy to ammend my records to that effect and also If I get the opportunity I will talk to Billy Bradford who may be able to shed some light on the subject

Jonblue
Reserve Team Regular

Post by Jonblue » Sat Apr 09, 2011 9:33 am

Thanks popeye - you really have an astounding memory! The reason I ask is that I know a Sandy McDonald from the Broch now living in Surrey who once mentioned he proudly played against Celtic -- his normal positon was outside left. I guess he is now in his mid eighties so this would appear to tie in. Sandy sadly lost his wife Margaret last year-- a lovely lady whose father I think was a Provost of Fraserburgh. I will print off your article and show him next time we meet which could be fairly soon and as you say, Billy Bradford may be able to throw some light on the subject.

peteroot
Reserve Team Captain

Post by peteroot » Sun Apr 10, 2011 12:32 am

It was Yankee.

popeye
International Captain

Post by popeye » Sun Apr 10, 2011 8:07 am

Jonblue -A further up-date on J McDonald. I spoke with Tom Collin yesterday and he agrees with me that 'J' wouls be his favoured guess. He, like Peteroot also confirmed the nick-name 'Yankee' as applying to the player

Tom Collin -Retired 'postie', and well respected local 'Welfare Summer League ' administrator connected solely with Peterhead Youth Club. Tom has a photograph of the Celtic-Peterhead players bought from Alex Buchan photgrapher
You may remember Mr Buchan had a shop at the corner of Tolbooth Wynd and Maiden Street now long gone
Mr Buchan was a freelance photographer and Aberdeen Journals and the Buchan Observer group published much of his work
Tom has asked to me to visit him next week when he hopes to have hade a good rake through his photoes so that he can loan me the picture which I hope to show here. He has warned me that he does not feel the players will be named on the picture but is almost certain they will have been named in any subsequent repreduction of the photograph by the press
In closing Jonblue - Like myself Tom says 'Alistair (Sandy) McDonald is not a name that stirs the memory regarding this player..........Then again it is such a long time ago and the memory does play tricks

Jonblue
Reserve Team Regular

Post by Jonblue » Sun Apr 10, 2011 9:03 am

Thanks for this popeye. Yes, I recall Mr Buchan -- if I remember correctly, a quiet unassuming man. It occurs to me that perhaps Sandy McDonald played against Celtic in another match on their tour. One thing is for sure, it was clearly a highlight of his footballing life as he often mentions it. Think he said Charlie Tully was in the Celtic line up that day. Sandy, despite well into his eighties is still very alert and articulate. His height, although one shrinks with age, I guess would have been 5 ft 7 or 8 inches which seems to tie in with your description. However, I will endeavour to speak to the man soon and all will perhaps be revealed. Perhaps he was a substitute -- assuming subs were allowed in those days particulalry friendlies in which case, he may not have been listed.

Jonblue
Reserve Team Regular

Post by Jonblue » Sun Apr 10, 2011 12:29 pm

Popeye: I have now spoken to A. (Sandy) McDonald and showed him a print of the exchanges of conversations. He definitely played at that match and said that J (Yankee) McDonald came after him . Sandy said he was actually doing his finals at Aberdeen University at the time and was persuaded by his father to take part in the game. He does not recall 2 players called Dutch playing , only one and thinks a player by the name of Erskine took part? He said that Charlie Tulley never stopped shouting the whole 90 minutes. After the game, they all had a meal in a hotel by the Recreation Ground ( what was it called?). He was disgusted by the behaviour of some of the Celtic professionals who used sinks as urinals.

In his day Sandy was seemigly rated the fasted winger in the Highland League. He knew Percy Dickie well and rated him highly as a player and friend.

So there we have it. This quite made Sandy's day and he was absolutely delighted to read all your comments. You bring a lot of happiness writing about mainly happer times for many folk popeye so well done and carry on the good work!

popeye
International Captain

Post by popeye » Sun Apr 10, 2011 8:45 pm

PICS FROM THE SKY
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

popeye
International Captain

Post by popeye » Sun Apr 10, 2011 8:59 pm

The pictures seen above were gifted to me this afternoon by a Balmoor Terrace resident who does not wished to be named. They were snapped by a small specialst camera attached to what Mr X describes as "an old fashioned kite" and hand held flying over the Catto Park area
I place them here so that 'message board' regulars may enjoy the unusual scene. But more particularly that 'Blue-Moggan ex-pats from all over the globe may gain some perspectiv of out new grounds location and especially in relation to Balmoor Terrace and Duncan Crescent on the right and also of the Craigewan Golf Course at the top of the pictures

popeye
International Captain

Post by popeye » Mon Apr 11, 2011 6:50 am

May I say my computer knowledge is very basic. Because of this I don't want to come over as teaching my grunny to suck eggs when I advise that 'clicking' on the photgraphs will reveal greater detail. For example the famous old 'fish house' can be identified near the sand -line and the houses and where the new extension black roof makes it easily recognisable . Movement of the the right and left bar will show other well known buildings which others may wish to comment on

popeye
International Captain

Post by popeye » Mon Apr 11, 2011 7:29 am

Jonblue- Thank you for the very kind comments - Furher to.....If you type in the Google tool bar Peterhead/ Fraserburgh XI V Celtic you will find on one of the links a photograph of the match programe front page and below that the inside page showing both teams.
Come back and let me know how you get on

Jonblue
Reserve Team Regular

Post by Jonblue » Mon Apr 11, 2011 9:21 am

Thanks popeye. Great photos, by the way --- ariel shots are really interesting and give a completly different perspective of the town. I was dismayed to see the artist's impression of what the Peterhead skyline would look like with these 2 huge wind turbines. Although a great fan of wind power, surely to goodness planning permission will not go through or is the town as apathetic on these matters as it is on supporting the club? The Buchanie website is very limited so does not provide any readers comments. The planners do not sound too happy but perhaps people will just turn a blind eye if it reduces electricity costs, although I am not sure if that will be the case.

However, laying all that to one side, Peterhead's familiar and well loved skyline largely unchanged for centuries could be destroyed at a stroke if this goes through and will make it the laughing stock of the North East. It could only happen in Peterhead whose 'charm' is slowly but relentlessly being eroded by mindless, unimaginative planners and architects and.
I am being somewhat polite here.

Is there any well of public opinion or couldn't folk care less?

popeye
International Captain

Post by popeye » Mon Apr 11, 2011 10:38 am

Jonblue -You will probably regard me as a bit of a Philistine regarding wind-turbines but most of my generation were brought up with electricity pylons and telegraph poles and just accepted things as being part of progress and to be honest never thought about it much. I'm afaid people just don't like change and because of that I am thankful the "No to Safeway" protestors were defeated after a campaign lasting five year. Otherwise you would not be looking at the photographs of Balmoor Stadium as seen above. To myself the town is better served providing jobs which in turn improves the economy of the whole area
However, I degress once more. Did you manage via Google to see the PHD/FGH / CELTIC PROGRAMME.
If so, let me know of your conclusions please

Jonblue
Reserve Team Regular

Post by Jonblue » Mon Apr 11, 2011 11:10 am

popeye: Am having problems with Google toolbar but my pc is behaving erractically this morning on several other fronts. My son (highly skilled in computer matters) says, I have an uncanny knack of creating unique problems which would test the patience of a saint! I will persevere but strange things are a happening so I may well wait until next time he visits.

Balmoor looks a larger site than the old rec -- is that so? Ref Safeways or is it Morrisons now, I tend to agree although the trend now is to locate these places just outside towns. Where I live, most of the old smaller shops have virtually disappeared replaced by all the big High Street chains which make each town centre indistinguishable from another. The town's character was destroyed years ago but people here move on average every 5 -7 years or so hence this does not worry them. Peterhead appears to have grown higgledy piggledy, without any master plan. I guess locals just get accustomed to this however with my very occasional visits, I notice the changes, some good but most 'with room for improvement'. However, if the locals are happy then who am I to comment! Change does not worry me but as I have said several times on this forum I have seen how well other towns have adapted maintaining their character. Peterhead still has something worth preserving -- look after it as our forefathers did all those years ago!

Jonblue
Reserve Team Regular

Post by Jonblue » Mon Apr 11, 2011 12:31 pm

Popeye: other than perhaps the dozen or so football diehards on other parts of this site, you do not appear to get many contributions, I mean comments on all the other worthy news past or present under 'Good old days.' Yet, the number of viewers are tremendous. Pity they are so passive as most people can make a contribuion. You must get a little downhearted at times. As far as I can see there are no other forums like this around in Peterhead so you are unique and a credit to the town! By comparison, my small town perhaps half as big again as Peterhead has a very active local forum. Occasionally sport is touched upon but nothing is sacrosant -- train delays -- vandalism- missing cats- religion-politics - potholes - youth organisations -- anything goes! My guess is that over 100 people contribute every day on numerous threads -- you would love it! Some tremendous arguments, so much so that the site moderator very occasionally has to step in but most comments are constructive and very helpful. Local councillors contribute as do the local press.

You in contrast appear a one man band and you do such a great service - -it's a wonder nobody builds on this but dare I say it again -- that word apathy creeps in. My guess lots of people would be disappointed if you packed it in! Just my two pence worth.

popeye
International Captain

Post by popeye » Mon Apr 11, 2011 1:28 pm

Good news- bad news

First the bad news Jon Blue . Alistair your Surrey acquaintance would seem to be suffering a mild memory lapse (No shame in his mid 80’s)
I have copied and pasted from the sight I was hoping to direct you towards via Google -You will see that both Dutch brothers played and were the only players with a full Christian name provided which I would think was there to let people know which was which
William ‘Cutty’ Strachan has a first name initial and I suppose that was there to avoid any mix-up with Johnny Strachan who was also with Peterhead at the time There is also no evidence of George ‘Dod Erskine playing. The team was in fact exactly as written in earlier pages within “The Good Old Days topic with only McDonalds first name initial in dispute

Now the good news Jon Blue and it is that I just have a wee hint of memory allowing some knowledge of Alistair McDonald and it was your mention of him being at university that got me thinking. Hopefully when I get the photograph from Tom Collin I can be a little more definite
Before I go Jon blue I need not remind you this 'message board' is, in the main occupied by Peterhead fans and I can say without fear of contradiction that they will not be interested which Broch players were representative of their club in friendly 62 years ago. Indeed I’m surprise that ‘Scotty Broon’ and ‘Peedee22 ‘ have not been on already to voice disapproval at the amount of space given over to a Brochers first initial :P :P

FRIENDLY
PETERHEAD / FRASERBURGH SELECT 1 CELTIC F.C. 2
Tuesday, 5 April 1949
Kick-off: 19.00 | Attendance: 6,000 | Referee: Peter Craigmyle
RECREATION PARK, PETERHEAD
OFFICIAL MATCH PROGRAMME

THE TEAMS
PETERHEAD/FRASERBURGH XI (SCOTLAND)
Coach: unknown.
Scorers: Martin.
Team: Bruce (P), Middleton (P), Simpson (P), John Dutch (F), James Dutch (F), W.Strachan (P),
McDonald (F), J. Paterson (P), Law (P), Martin (P), C.Smith (P).

CELTIC F.C.
Coach: Jimmy MCGRORY.
Scorers: J. McPhail, Weir. (some have attributed the 1st goal to J. Docherty)
Team: Miller, McGuire, Milne, McPhail, Boden, McAuley, T. Docherty, J. Docherty, Weir, Tully, Paton.

To Celtic FC - popeye here lads -It was Weir who scored -I was behind the RAEMOSS PARK goal and because he was a former Hibby I felt betrayed.

Jonblue
Reserve Team Regular

Post by Jonblue » Mon Apr 11, 2011 2:15 pm

OK thanks again for this popeye. To be fair, Sandy was struggling to recall who played that day but clearly remembers HE did. Just to set Peterheid fans' minds at rest, although Sandy has mentioned (just a few times) a game when the Broch beat us, I have reminded him of the numerous times we thrashed them and that we are by far the more sophisticated team in every aspect of the game. He quietens down a bit after that but for a brocher he is quite articulate -- must be some 'Blue' blood in the strain somewhere.

popeye
International Captain

Post by popeye » Mon Apr 11, 2011 3:02 pm

Jonblue
Tell Alistair to have a stiff whiskey at the ready and hope he has no blood pressure problems

The league record from season 1931-32 to 1999-2000
Club P W D L GF GA GD
Peterhead 124 66 24 34 266 174 +92
Fraser'ghh 124 34 24 66 174 266 -92

Jonblue
Reserve Team Regular

Post by Jonblue » Mon Apr 11, 2011 3:14 pm

Thanks popeye. I will break it to him gently and let him sit doon first!