Good old days

Chat about football matters whether or not they relate to Peterhead FC
peedee22
Reserve Team Regular
Supports: Peterhead

Re: Good old days

Post by peedee22 » Mon Apr 11, 2011 7:12 pm

Aye popeye there would be nae danger of getting sky pictures of the Bellslea still living in the past through there anything higher than the kirk spire would be considered German and shot down :lol:

Liked the Balmoor pics though and the story of the game v Celtic was very interesting

Jonblue
Reserve Team Regular

Post by Jonblue » Tue Apr 12, 2011 11:20 am

Popeye. Apologies for using this site for my own personal convenience but I think you know the Proctor family quite well and I seem to recall you mentioned way back that Alan's brother Bill either moved abroad or passed away -- perhaps I got that wrong. Can you throw any light on this?

popeye
International Captain

Post by popeye » Tue Apr 12, 2011 2:05 pm

The Bill Proctor I was previously referring to is Alan' Proctor's cousin. - He moved to Canada some years ago and died last year around May - He was 76 when he died

Jonblue
Reserve Team Regular

Post by Jonblue » Tue Apr 12, 2011 6:39 pm

Thanks popeye, I think that must be the same Bill Proctor. Short stocky irrepressible chap who used to be quite a useful player in his day. Think he may have worked for C&B at one time. He was single when I knew him but I seem to recall he married a girl who also worked for C& B -- Doris....?

gmac
Reserve Team Sub

Post by gmac » Tue Apr 12, 2011 11:41 pm

as a recent contributor I am immensely enjoying this section working my way through all 77 pages. My era is 70's onwards, having travelled on the team bus as a kid with Juggers (Jim Buchan, he's 5wks older than me) been a ball boy at the Rec ( remember wearing tracksuit tops with "Robertson Sports" on back) and attended training sessions at the old North school being amongst my individual memories, game memories include beating Motherwell, including Willie Pettigrew, 2-1 at the Rec in a pre-season friendly. My HL select would most likely be
Jackie Cooper/Mike McHattie, Sandy Rennie, Alfie Smith, Frank Krukowski, John Sievwright, Colin Grant, Louis Duncan, Ally Christie, Charlie Duncan, Gordon McIntyre/Ray O'Hara, Willie Donald subs: Willie Miller (as a striker), Jim Hamilton, Ally Buchan, Nattie Porter & Jim Buchan.
Last edited by gmac on Thu Apr 14, 2011 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

popeye
International Captain

Post by popeye » Wed Apr 13, 2011 12:32 am

Jonblue -in answer to you question..... Doris Buchan later Proctor and presently Taylor although widowed a few years ago. Doris's father was at one time greenkeeper at Craigewan Golf course although i believe a butcher by trade

gmac- Can I take it from your remarks that you enjoyed our days in the HL. It is so gratifying taking memories from our formative years into maturity

Jonblue
Reserve Team Regular

Post by Jonblue » Wed Apr 13, 2011 9:31 am

Thanks popeye - another one bites the dust. It's sad that I have at best a handful of blokes I used to know left. I guess Bill P. would only have been in his late 70's, maybe early 80's - no great age especially down here where folk appear to live far longer. Not quite sure why that is what with the Toon's bracing sea breezes and far more relaxed attitude. Guess it's all down to lifestyle. People here would give their eyeteeth to enjoy the NE coast and countryside. It's strange but anytime I visit there is nobody to be seen apart from a few tourists.

gmac
Reserve Team Sub

Post by gmac » Wed Apr 13, 2011 7:56 pm

Yes popeye loved our time in HL, many happy memories visiting all the grounds, listening to bus banter there and back, we lived for our Saturdays with a passion, but still glad and proud to be part of the SFL, a natural progression and would love to see it included in a pyramid system of some sort in future. The HL has and does play a very important part for people of the NE, a learning place for up and coming players but also a place where seasoned pros can cut their coaching/managerial teeth perhaps and pass on their experience and skills to those wishing to progress. Some players have adorned our leagues with their skills that could have gone further but were probably better suited to the HL set-up, Nat Porter springs to mind as a good example, but a secure career in banking still enabled him to play part-time

popeye
International Captain

Post by popeye » Sat Apr 16, 2011 8:47 pm

Jon Blue -Spoke to Billy Bradford at the game today and he remembers there beiing a McDonald but could only come up with the nickname Yankee and no memory of a christian name. He did however did mention that he thought Mc Donald's folks had drapers shop in th Broch
Also spoke to the grandfather of one our players on loan at Huntly As a season -ticket holder he asked a pointed question - Where are all the fans today who got in for nothing last week ? I could'nt answer him, except to say that the usual die-hards are here.

popeye
International Captain

Post by popeye » Tue Apr 19, 2011 1:50 pm

Jonblue you may recall I wrote the followng message last week
Now the good news Jon Blue and it is that I just have a wee hint of memory allowing some knowledge of Alistair McDonald
I have today received the photograph from Tom Collin and can confirm that your friend is indeed the Alistair (Sandy) McDonald who played at Outside -right that night -Also the team names I also typed are correct and I will now place them in position as seen on the photoraph
SELECT TEAMS.jpg
Celtic players only ; Rear from the left; McGuire, Milne, Miller,McAuley, Boden.
Front; T Docherty, Not known, R McPhail.J.Weir, C Tully, J Paton.
Select - All Peterhead players unless signified by 'FRG'
Rear from the right ; F Middleton, James Dutch(FGH) W Bruce, John Dutch ( FGH) Jimmy Simpson, Bill (Cutty) Strachan.
Front ;; Alistair Mc Donald (FGH), Jimmy Paterson**, Abby Law, Johnny Martin and Charles F S mith

** Jimmy Paterson is Peterhead's all time leading goalscorer with 40 goals in season 1950-51
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

popeye
International Captain

Post by popeye » Tue Apr 19, 2011 2:14 pm

Just as a matter of interest -The photograph shows the roofs of what was then the Ugie Park houses (Now Ugie Street) Of the five coated gentlemen seen next to Bill Strachan the one to the rear nearest Bill is the Peterhead President in those days James Campbell - The other four were all ex- Peterhead players and guests of the club on the night.
Those who may have followed the 'FAIRY TALE ' topic will remember Mr Campbell was on of the four former presidents taking part in spirit of fun

Jonblue
Reserve Team Regular

Post by Jonblue » Tue Apr 19, 2011 5:55 pm

This is GREAT popeye and will make Sandy's day. I scanned the photograph and will include it with the teams for inclusion in a local newsletter which Sandy may collect on Sunday. I will keep it as a surprise! He will be absolutely delighted as I am pretty sure he has not seen this photo. A marvellous find and it will give him a real lift after the sadness of last year. It's strange as we get older how important these early days become to us all as we remember how fit we were, without worries and a determination to knock the stuffing out of opponents whatever the sport! Happy days!

peteroot
Reserve Team Captain

Post by peteroot » Tue Apr 19, 2011 6:06 pm

The unknown was another Docherty. Tommy was the man of many clubs, I am somewhere behind the teams.

popeye
International Captain

Post by popeye » Tue Apr 19, 2011 6:12 pm

That's fine Jonblue -Always happy to oblige and to discuss the 'good old days'
I have often to remind my sons "That I am where you are, but you've not been where I've been".
Their time will come however and they can turn the tables on a new generation of youngsters

popeye
International Captain

Post by popeye » Tue Apr 19, 2011 6:13 pm

Aye 'peteroot' I noticed you on the fence sneakin in

Jonblue
Reserve Team Regular

Post by Jonblue » Tue Apr 19, 2011 6:35 pm

Popeye -- o' tomb of all knowledge. I realise I have mentioned Fraserburgh too many times on this select forum but can you answer this question -- seriously if you can. Whilst I know how Peterheid folk became known as Bluemogganers, what is the explanation behind Puddlestinkers? I doubt I will get a serious answer but at least the explanations could prove amusing!

popeye
International Captain

Post by popeye » Tue Apr 19, 2011 7:08 pm

Don't know -But might it go back a long time ago when in the summertime podlie catchin was a popoular pastime and a very smelly one at that -PUDDLE May well have been Bredsea for 'podlie ....just a thought

peteroot
Reserve Team Captain

Post by peteroot » Wed Apr 20, 2011 6:12 pm

I would say its self explanatory.

popeye
International Captain

Post by popeye » Wed Apr 20, 2011 8:46 pm

Okay 'peteroot' - so their 'puddles' have a stink! -Could that have been the 'puddles' near the many kipper'n and gutt'n yards many many years ago?

popeye
International Captain

Post by popeye » Thu Apr 21, 2011 11:28 am

Select photo -When I returned the photograph to Tom Collin yesterday he asked if I remembered his Gladstone Road neighbour 'Soapy' Sunmmers -When I said I remembered him well he then explained that he and 'Soapy' delivered the match advertising bills in those days. Because of this task they were allowed into all matches free.
On the evening of the Celtic match Tom and his friend were privledged to carry to the field the bench forms for the players to sit on for the photograh
He told me he was 11 at the time and remembers that duty with much pride
Just a pot-luck chance, but If Soapy is one of the ex-pats viewing this web-sit then post a comment please