Re: Good old days

Post by popeye » Thu Apr 21, 2011 11:33 am

What a bloomer - Seems I got my Palmolive soap and my Baxters soup mixed up

Tom's neighbour was 'Soupy Summers and not 'Soapy'

peteroot
Reserve Team Captain

Post by peteroot » Thu Apr 21, 2011 4:38 pm

Could have watched match from the chute if up early enough. Another Roanheidser was Sunky he went to OZ remember him.

peteroot
Reserve Team Captain

Post by peteroot » Thu Apr 21, 2011 4:46 pm

Soapey Souter was Oor Wullies, Fat Bob's pal chased by Pc Murdoch dina read it noo but those were the days.

popeye
International Captain
Supports: Peterhead

Post by popeye » Fri Apr 22, 2011 2:25 am

It's said when you stop read'n 'Oor Wullie' and the 'Broons' then old age has taken over

popeye
International Captain

Post by popeye » Fri Apr 22, 2011 3:00 am

'Sunky'? Mmmm now that got me think'n - Another Summers perhaps? - Maybe Alex from New Street

popeye
International Captain

Post by popeye » Fri Apr 22, 2011 8:43 am

chute.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

popeye
International Captain

Post by popeye » Fri Apr 22, 2011 8:47 am

Last line correction
The girls in the picture are my wife and above her cousin Isobel Bradford younger sister of footballer Billy Bradford

peteroot
Reserve Team Captain

Post by peteroot » Fri Apr 22, 2011 3:44 pm

Popeye was'nt there a wifie in Roanheads called Cush Doo?

popeye
International Captain

Post by popeye » Fri Apr 22, 2011 3:52 pm

It was 'Cushy Doo' - She took the Doo part when she married 'Cock-a-Doodle Doo :lol:

peteroot
Reserve Team Captain

Post by peteroot » Fri Apr 22, 2011 4:10 pm

Johnny Martin had a son born about that time and he called him John Willie Jimmy Ian Freddie Martin, true.

popeye
International Captain

Post by popeye » Fri Apr 22, 2011 6:14 pm

And sometimes knowns as Bruce Martin. He later late played for Sunnybank, Montrose and finished with Keith before managing the Kynoch Park club and before retiring worked with Peterhead supporter George Maskam Wood Group Engineering Dyce

popeye
International Captain

Post by popeye » Fri Apr 22, 2011 7:19 pm

The photograph of the 'chute' was taken around 1950 -To myself it is testement to the age old tale that 2very picture tells a story2 Such pictures will be out there in their hundreds and may well be in possesion of ex-pats all over the world. It would be greatly appreciated if attempts can be made for such pictures to be put on view of these pages and if their is a story to go with them that would be a wonderful plus
Should any photo have a local Peterhead football connection and is from a time after 1946 I shall do be very best to put some football story to the picture.

Jonblue
Reserve Team Regular

Post by Jonblue » Sun Apr 24, 2011 1:00 pm

Popeye. I saw Sandy McDonald today and gave him my newsletter article showing your Celtic/Buchan Select photo. He was flabbergasted and puzzled how I had got hold of it as he had never seen it before. I told him I got it from popeye. He thought it was a wind up and went off shaking his head. He was so pleased and said that it was something to show his grandchildren so well done again and please thank your friend. J

popeye
International Captain

Post by popeye » Mon Apr 25, 2011 2:07 am

Jonblue -Thanks for the up-date. If you can let me have his address I can send a full size photograph to Alistair with player names - Peteroot was right in letting us know the 'not known' is indeed another Docherty....J Docherty

popeye

Jonblue
Reserve Team Regular

Post by Jonblue » Tue Apr 26, 2011 6:23 am

Popeye: Many thanks for the offer but the photo you provided was surprisingly good and I had it digitally enhanced by a friend knowledgeable in these matters so A McDonald is more than happy with this and other detail provided. Still on photos, do you know of any site, other than your excellent contributions, featuring, photos of old Peterhead? The fact you have dug up lots probably means there are lots more around. Sometime ago you mentioned another contact whom you thought could provide old photos but he declined. I wonder why as this sort of thing should surely be shared unless he sees a commercial angle? Last time up in the Bluetoon I trawled through a few albums in the library but to be frank , they were not well catalogued -- pity, as their must be a wealth of gems hidden away in their archives -- wouldn't you think?

popeye
International Captain

Post by popeye » Tue Apr 26, 2011 5:31 pm

That's fine Jon -Thanks for letting me know - Nice to see this topic bursting through the 26,000 barrier - Who'd have thought it when it all began.

Jonblue
Reserve Team Regular

Post by Jonblue » Tue Apr 26, 2011 6:55 pm

Yes, 26024 not out popeye - what an achievement - give yourself a pat on the back -- nobody else will! I think Peterhead FC should appoint you as their Sales & Marketing Director as they seem devoid of ideas on how to increase the gate at Balmoor apart from the free pie offer -- hardly at the cutting edge of technology! Given the number of hits on The Good Old Days there is clearly a real interest in the town -- just a pity where the team is concerned that the bulk of the population will not get off their rear ends to walk up the road and support their club which may not be in this sorry state if they did!

How you must have enjoyed the crowds in earlier times. There must have been a tremendous atmosphere -- far better than being stuck indoors glued to the TV or in front of a PC. How do our gates compare with others given the size of the town -- surely there cannot be as much apathy in other towns as in Peterhead? For what it's worth, I think your articles leave the Buchanie standing in terms of interest. Perhaps you should take over as Editor there also...

Whilst they are at it, they might as well make you Provost although you don't have this position any longer do you. However, a knighthood
should suffice. Arise Sir Popeye -- has quite a ring to it don't you think?

Listening to my betters whilst a loon I recall the pride in the town but the spirit seems to have died many decades ago or is it all in my imagination? Strangely, although I have been awa for so many years I still prick my ears up if Peterheid is mentioned in the news -- so many happy memories involving simple pleasures when loons were loons and had a sense of adventure.....

popeye
International Captain

Post by popeye » Tue Apr 26, 2011 7:05 pm

:oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

:shock:

Jonblue
Reserve Team Regular

Post by Jonblue » Tue Apr 26, 2011 8:05 pm

That's the second time I've known you to be speechless popeye !

popeye
International Captain

Post by popeye » Tue Apr 26, 2011 8:36 pm

:lol: