Good old days

Chat about football matters whether or not they relate to Peterhead FC
popeye
International Captain
Supports: Peterhead

Re: Good old days

Post by popeye » Fri Apr 29, 2011 3:47 pm

Top.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

popeye
International Captain

Post by popeye » Fri Apr 29, 2011 3:49 pm

Re the above photograph - The unclear text is as follows-

The tie and badge seen on display has been donated
to the club's memorabilia section by former player
Player Alex Thornton (24/04/2011)
Alex played for Peterhead from season 1967-68 to 1971
Many thanks Alex and to all other contributors

BRENDAN
S-Form

Post by BRENDAN » Sun Jul 10, 2011 8:09 pm

Can anyone help me get results from the past highland league seasons 1986 back to 1970.
I can be contacted on fatboyslimmer@btinternet.com
Cheers

peteroot
Reserve Team Captain

Post by peteroot » Thu Sep 15, 2011 3:21 pm

If you're reading this Popeye another old player passed away yesterday DAVY AITKEN ex YMCA and HEARTIES.

Blueblazer
Three-time Prediction King!

Post by Blueblazer » Tue Oct 16, 2012 11:02 pm

I know this thread hasn't been used for a while but here's an interesting story about one of our former greats.

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/scott ... nd-1381060

The picture in the story is taken at the old Recreation Park.

He's only sixty seven...........I wonder if.............
Blueblazer :
Prediction League Champion 2002/2003; 2006/2007; 2013/2014

Jonblue
Reserve Team Regular

One for Popeye - re Alistair (Sandy) McDonald

Post by Jonblue » Sat May 17, 2014 8:38 am

In case you are still watching Popeye, reference the Buchan select v Celtic match in the 40's. Alistair (Sandy) McDonald (89) originally from the Broch was laid to rest yesterday. He had a tremendously rich life. Soon after that match in the 40's, he went to Rhodesia to train as a pilot and won his wings but fortunately the war ended just then. He was captain of a forces football team and was made an offer by a 1st division Scottish football team but decided to continue his studies at Aberdeen University where he gained a 1st in philosophy. A competitive sportsman all his life and accomplished golfer. He worked in Singapore for a few years but then returned to the UK with his wife and family and took up various extremely senior positions in industry. A great family man with an at times mischievous turn of humour, keen on poetry and a good musician he was the heart and soul of Hogmanay parties down south. He worked hard for the local community and his church as an elder. A very modest gentleman who did his best for his fellow man and boy he did it well! I could go on but what a truly marvellous life this Buchan loon had. I spoke to Ann, one of his lovely daughters after the funeral and she said how much that photo ( you dug up of the Celtic match) had meant to him so thanks again.

Bainzer
S-Form

Post by Bainzer » Thu Jun 05, 2014 11:43 pm

peteroot wrote:Popeye was'nt there a wifie in Roanheads called Cush Doo?
re Johnny Martin's Son.... I am Johnny Martin's daughter & I had 2 brothers Bruce born 1947 (who also played Highland League Football for Keith & Huntly) & Ian born 1949, it was reported in the papers that he was called after the team, but he wasn't ! He was just plain Ian Martin !!

Alan

Re: One for Popeye - re Alistair (Sandy) McDonald

Post by Alan » Mon Apr 06, 2015 11:21 pm

Peterhead Fraserburgh Select v Celtic Front + Back.jpg
Jonblue wrote:In case you are still watching Popeye, reference the Buchan select v Celtic match in the 40's. Alistair (Sandy) McDonald (89) originally from the Broch was laid to rest yesterday. He had a tremendously rich life. Soon after that match in the 40's, he went to Rhodesia to train as a pilot and won his wings but fortunately the war ended just then. He was captain of a forces football team and was made an offer by a 1st division Scottish football team but decided to continue his studies at Aberdeen University where he gained a 1st in philosophy. A competitive sportsman all his life and accomplished golfer. He worked in Singapore for a few years but then returned to the UK with his wife and family and took up various extremely senior positions in industry. A great family man with an at times mischievous turn of humour, keen on poetry and a good musician he was the heart and soul of Hogmanay parties down south. He worked hard for the local community and his church as an elder. A very modest gentleman who did his best for his fellow man and boy he did it well! I could go on but what a truly marvellous life this Buchan loon had. I spoke to Ann, one of his lovely daughters after the funeral and she said how much that photo ( you dug up of the Celtic match) had meant to him so thanks again.
Jonblue you may be interested in the programme from the above game -
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Jonblue
Reserve Team Regular

Post by Jonblue » Tue Apr 07, 2015 8:58 am

Thanks Alan... isn't that amazing! How did you manage to lay your hands on this gem? Sadly Sandy McDonald passed away a year or so ago -- he would have been delighted to have seen this. He used to attend our church until ill health prevented him and he never forgot his North East upbringing and visited every year with his wife and family. His wife, a lovely lady was also a Brocher. Sandy was the most modest of men and had the most fulfilling of lives. A clever lad with a first in Physics at Aberdeen University he joined up and trained as a Spitfire pilot in the then Rhodesia although the war ended before 'active' duty. He then returned home married and went to Singapore. He excelled at most sports, was a good musician enjoyed poetry and held down some extremely important UK jobs in an illustrious career -- not that I knew any of this when he was alive -- as is often the case! He was a church elder and much loved by his lovely family, neighbours and many friends and was always the first to help out. A life worth living! He was one of the nicest most unassuming people one could ever wish to meet and his North East roots as I said meant a great deal to him. Best wishes.

Alan

Post by Alan » Tue Apr 07, 2015 4:31 pm

Jonblue wrote:Thanks Alan... isn't that amazing! How did you manage to lay your hands on this gem? Sadly Sandy McDonald passed away a year or so ago -- he would have been delighted to have seen this. He used to attend our church until ill health prevented him and he never forgot his North East upbringing and visited every year with his wife and family. His wife, a lovely lady was also a Brocher. Sandy was the most modest of men and had the most fulfilling of lives. A clever lad with a first in Physics at Aberdeen University he joined up and trained as a Spitfire pilot in the then Rhodesia although the war ended before 'active' duty. He then returned home married and went to Singapore. He excelled at most sports, was a good musician enjoyed poetry and held down some extremely important UK jobs in an illustrious career -- not that I knew any of this when he was alive -- as is often the case! He was a church elder and much loved by his lovely family, neighbours and many friends and was always the first to help out. A life worth living! He was one of the nicest most unassuming people one could ever wish to meet and his North East roots as I said meant a great deal to him. Best wishes.
Jonblue, I used to collect programmes and this is one of my favourites. I have loads more and was looking through them when I remembered reading something on the Good Old Days topic about this game. It's a pity I didn't upload it before Sandy McDonald sadly passed away. Keep supporting the Blue Toon.

Jonblue
Reserve Team Regular

Post by Jonblue » Tue Apr 07, 2015 5:09 pm

'Keep supporting the Blue Toon'

Despite my advancing years Alan, Peterhead FC is the first result I check and have always checked for over 50 years wherever I happened to be -- old habits die hard! I enjoy the news albeit limited on this forum and Cameraman's efforts are a real bonus. Sadly the team do not appear to get anything like the support they deserve considering how the town has grown over the decades but it was thus even in my day. Imagine the atmosphere and big crowds at games in Sandy McDonald's time. I guess those days have gone for good but hats off to all those who persevere!

Alan

Post by Alan » Tue Apr 07, 2015 5:26 pm

Hopefully Jonblue you and many others will be able to see the Blue Toon play at a packed Balmoor like in the old days at "The Rec".

BlackanWhecht
Reserve Team Captain

Post by BlackanWhecht » Tue Jun 09, 2015 9:15 pm

That wasn't a bad side in 1949. I mean the Select, not celtic. Willie Paterson was better than Charlie Tully any day of the week, especially Saturdays.

As well as him and his brother terrorising the Elgin defence, I remember Ian Hay, Willie Bruce and Johnnie Dutch the last two with caley and Buckie rather than PD and Broch. Bruce was always good for a laugh with the wee loons behind his goal and Dutch was some defender. Was I glad when he stopped playing. I suspect most centre forwards were too.

I miss popeye's posts not just here but on the City board too, though I think he got all his material from some guy called Ronnie!

Alan

Post by Alan » Thu Jun 11, 2015 3:12 pm

You are showing your age now Blackan Whect if you can remember players from 1949.
How many of them would get a game nowadays for Peterhead or even Elgin City?
Pity about Popeye not posting any more, he was the font of all knowledge and is badly missed.
If you are reading this Popeye please make a return to brighten up this message board.

mgpirie
S-Form
Supports: Aberdeen

Post by mgpirie » Fri Aug 21, 2015 9:01 am

My dad and former Peterhead player and captain, George Pirie, passed away a couple of months ago. Dad played for Peterhead between 1972-76 and captained the side that won the Scottish Qualifying Cup in 1975. He'd kept a small collection of photos, press cuttings and other bits and pieces which I've pulled together and posted on-line here:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/130832783@N05/albums

I never saw dad play in the Highland League but as he continued to play football into his mid-forties I did get the chance to play in the same team with him along with my brother when we were 17-18. If anyone on here remembers seeing him play I'd love to read your comments. Good or bad!

NewBlue
Reserve Team Regular

Post by NewBlue » Fri Sep 25, 2015 10:04 am

Sorry to hear about the loss. Some great photos there so thank you very much for sharing them.

Alan

Post by Alan » Sun Oct 25, 2015 5:28 pm

Saddened to hear about George Pirie's death and certainly no bad comments to make about him. I fondly remember the Qualifying Cup win in 1975 which was our first win for nearly 30 years. Some great photos and club legends with a very young Willie Miller featuring in one of them. Happy days and happy memories of George who was a great servant to the club.

Bucks73
S-Form

Post by Bucks73 » Thu Jul 07, 2016 4:24 am

popeye wrote:Crosse & Blackwell night out; From the left Bill Proctor, Ivor Robertson, Roddy McNeil, Jqackie Findlay, Jim (Pipey) Buchan, Robbie Sturrock, Peter Davidson, Tommy Beagrie, Jimmy Christie, Ian Davidson, Steve Buchan, Bert Cross, Peter Skinner partly hiden,
Ronnie Geddes andJock Wilson
Hi there,
I'm just wondering if anyone had a copy of this picture. the link is now dead, and if it's the picture I think it is (from seeing it years ago), then I'd love to get a copy of it, or any that has Jim 'Pipey' Buchan from the 40's in it.

He was my Grandad, and my dad, Gordon, would be very happy to see it, as he's not doing so well at the moment, and we've been living in Australia for the past 40 years after we migrated here back in the 70's. They were very close, but I was only 2 years old when I left, so don't remember him very well. But dad said that he was a very good footballer.

I've tried to find photos of him on this site, and no luck so far, but am still going though the many pages in this thread so fingers crossed! And I do follow the Blue Toon closely from here via the internet, both proud and shattered at how our season went and ended.

Thanks in advance for any help on this!
Kris

ELLON BRANCH
International Squad Member

Post by ELLON BRANCH » Thu Jul 07, 2016 3:35 pm

Could try & PM Popeye as most photos etc originally came from his book Mine Eyes Have Seen The Glory so he would maybe have originals, sadly has not been active on here for a while but that your best bet. I have a copy of the book but it is out on loan at present so cant check pictures.

Blueblazer

Post by Blueblazer » Thu Jul 07, 2016 4:05 pm

If you're on Facebook then join Peterhead When You Were A Kid page. Lots of old Crossies and football pics on there.

Popeye is also alive and well on Facebook although he doesn't post on here now. I've sent you a PM so you could maybe contact him that way.

Hope you find the photos you're looking for.
Blueblazer :
Prediction League Champion 2002/2003; 2006/2007; 2013/2014