Chat about football matters whether or not they relate to Peterhead FC
Jonblue
Reserve Team Regular
Supports: Peterhead

Prospects

Post by Jonblue » Mon Jan 16, 2017 4:26 pm

Sun article:
By ALLY GRAHAM
KEEPER Graeme Smith believes Peterhead are capable of reaching the play-offs after stunning Alloa at the Indodrill.
The experienced No1 was in superb form as he denied the Wasps with a string of top-class saves.
And with only six points separating them from fourth-placed Brechin, Smith reckons they are right back in the hunt.
He said: “The last time we came here we played quite open and although we had a lot of the ball we got gubbed 4-0.
“So we’ve been working hard and I thought we were comfortable until we got a man sent off.
“Then it was backs to the wall stuff and fortunately I’ve had to make a few saves and come for a few crosses.
“This league is so inconsistent and everyone can beat each other so on our day we can match anybody but we need to be more consistent. And if we can do that we won’t be far away at the end.”
Peterhead sub Leighton McIntosh broke the deadlock four minutes after the break when he pounced on a poor defensive header from Jason Marr before coolly slotting past Neil Parry.
The scorer was needlessly booked on 71 minutes for kicking the ball away and four minutes later received a straight red for a tackle on Marr.
With just minutes remaining Smith pulled off three stunning saves from Jamie Longworth, Andy Graham and Kevin Cawley to deny the Wasps.
Peterhead gaffer Jim McInally was happy with the win but not with McIntosh’s sending off.
He said: “I am delighted with the result although we got a bit of a chasing early in the first half because Alloa are a good side.
“But we defended really well and up until Leighton got sent off I thought we were the better team.
“I then couldn’t believe it when the referee gave him a straight red when he won the ball.
“That means we can and will appeal. But it’s a great result for us and one we can build on.”

Alan
Three-time Prediction King!

Re: Prospects

Post by Alan » Sun Mar 05, 2017 12:34 pm

Prospects?
Not looking good at the moment. I would grab eighth place right now if we had the choice. One point from 3 games against Stenny and only 3 home wins means we are staring at relegation. It looks like everyone on this forum has given up commenting and no wonder. Roll on next season.

Blueblazer

Post by Blueblazer » Sun Mar 05, 2017 2:16 pm

Didn't comment after the East Fife game because the match report said it all - a shocking first half and the players looked nervous.

Wasn't at the Stenny game but spoke to someone who was and it increasingly appears that the players are not up for a fight. Terrible result leaves us staring into the abyss of relegation and if the teams around us win their games in hand we are bottom in the automatic relegation place.

Only the final quarter of the season left and it's not looking good the way we are playing and the lack of urgency and determination on display. Had hoped the January signings would have given us a boost but there's no difference so far.

The players have to realise that's it's now a survival battle and as has been said 8th place is the target. The question is do they have the stomach for it and are prepared to grind out results or have they already given up?
Blueblazer :
Prediction League Champion 2002/2003; 2006/2007; 2013/2014

Pfc100
Youth Team Starter

Post by Pfc100 » Sun Mar 05, 2017 3:36 pm

I agree with players need to realise but , jim need to take some blame. He keeps changing the defence round. I know there have been injurys and that. There are players on the bench that are better than what are getting a starting place , but don't get a chance. Up front we have players to hurt teams. Our problems are midfield and defence. I think Ryan needs to play in defence as I think we are stronger when he is there. It's not looking good at the moment. The players we have in our team we should be at the other end of the table.

NewBlue
Reserve Team Regular

Post by NewBlue » Sun Mar 05, 2017 7:43 pm

To be honest I am lost for ideas at the moment. There are so many problems (as everyone has pointed out) at the minute and I am not sure there is a clear solution. I am glad to a certain extent that it seems to be finally sinking in with people that there is a real danger of relegation. I tipped us for it at the start of the season and I haven't seen anything that has changed my mind. Still time to be proven wrong though and I hope I am! Whatever happens though I think Jim has to go at the end of the season.

Jonblue
Reserve Team Regular

Post by Jonblue » Mon Mar 06, 2017 5:13 pm

Yes, I am afraid we are in the mire with no real consistency this season. How many times have we read that a team with this calibre of players should not be in this position so something is drastically wrong. Survival in this league will now be challenging and Rory's sending off is not helpful. I think the club will stay true to Jim but I suspect he may decide to move on next season whether or not we survive relegation. His name has been closely connected with a few teams recently and a club nearer home would prove attractive. What an anti climax of a season with gates I imagine at a record low!

Blueblazer

Post by Blueblazer » Wed Mar 08, 2017 8:59 pm

Must admit I'm a bit disappointed with the Andy Rodgers interview on the main site. Understand where he's coming from but he obviously hasn't seen us play on a regular basis.

Things like "I really hope results will turn for them and I do think they will because there is still a quarter of the season to go", "should still be looking up the way" and "too good a squad to be dicing with relegation" are not helpful. Nor is "could go on a four or five game winning run" when the best we have managed all season is three wins in a row back in October.

I would love for him to be right but the priority has to be securing our place in this league and then IF we can do that then we can begin to think about getting up higher. It does seem to be the mentality that we are too good to go down but the reality is something else.
Blueblazer :

Blueblazer

Post by Blueblazer » Wed Mar 29, 2017 9:58 am

Well our prospects certainly haven't improved any.

Different defensive line up against Stranraer again. Craig Reid at right back, Aaron Comrie at left back and Ross and Gordon in the middle. After Rory scored we were shocking. Opened up time and time again by Stranraer and the game should have been out of sight by half time. Not helped I suppose by Gordon going off injured and sub McMullin sharing a Glasgow kiss with Ross resulting in McMullin going off too. Second half was much better and I think we deserved a point just for the effort put in by the players.

A point is not enough though and with Albion Rovers winning in midweek it makes 9th place look like the target now. In fact, we can't get better than 9th by our own efforts and must hope for other results to go our way as well as trying for a win ourselves. Not looking good but all we can hope for is that the players put in the effort of the second half and not the shambles that was the first half.
Last edited by Blueblazer on Wed Mar 29, 2017 10:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Blueblazer :

NewBlue
Reserve Team Regular

Post by NewBlue » Wed Mar 29, 2017 12:21 pm

Massive game against Stenny next month which may keep us out of 10th spot but as you say it isn't really in our hands. A win against QP might drag them into it though, but we haven't been winning so not sure that is likely!

I think it this summer is going to crucial for our future regardless of where we finish.

Jonblue
Reserve Team Regular

Post by Jonblue » Wed Mar 29, 2017 2:01 pm

All this after such high hopes at start of season when I for one thought we would make the play offs without the shadow of a doubt. Few highlights this season with a lack of consistency being the name of the game. It's all in the lap of the gods now and we seem fair game for anyone so I am not going to get too optimistic about our chances of staying up.

As New Blue said, this summer will be crucial for our future regardless of where we finish. I suspect a fair few of this team will not be around next season and probably the manager.

NewBlue
Reserve Team Regular

Post by NewBlue » Sat Apr 01, 2017 5:26 pm

Well our prospects aren't looking much better after that as a gap is starting to open up now.

Was also really disappointed with Roger Morrison's comments at the sportsman's dinner last night. He is blaming the fact we missed some of our signing targets to other teams for our current position. Never mind the fact that Jim signed a string of duds and the limit of his current tactical nounce is to rotate the front 3 players repeatedly during the game. We aren't 1 or 2 signings short of having a great team, we are in trouble from top to bottom.

Blueblazer

Post by Blueblazer » Sat Apr 01, 2017 10:19 pm

Pretty much a repeat of the Stranraer game. Rory scoring early, a defender (Reid) going off injured and then giving away a sloppy equaliser after a great penalty save by Smith. Thought there was plenty effort from the players chasing and pressing and not allowing Airdrie time on the ball but we just can't win a game. Don't know why in a must win game neither McIntosh or Smith came on and instead it was Jordan Brown and Stevenson. Maybe decided to settle for one point again.

I suppose that one point is one further away from Stenhousemuir and automatic relegation and 9th looks the most likely finish at the moment. Not sure what the League 2 standard is like but as it stands we would play Elgin and then Arbroath or Annan if we got past Elgin.
Blueblazer :

stumpy74
Youth Team Captain

Post by stumpy74 » Tue Apr 04, 2017 9:57 pm

Would rather get relegated than get put down by Elgin
Can't see us beating any of those other teams in the play offs either though

Alan

Post by Alan » Sat Apr 22, 2017 6:34 pm

One point from 4 games against Stenhousemuir. Look forward to Division 2 football next season.

stumpy74
Youth Team Captain

Post by stumpy74 » Sat Apr 22, 2017 7:54 pm

Today was another shocking game
After a good result last week thought we would at least put in a bit of effort today but no just p**h
Need a massive clear out for division 2 next year

Blueblazer

Post by Blueblazer » Sun Apr 23, 2017 12:47 am

worst. performance. ever.

words. fail. me.
Blueblazer :

NewBlue
Reserve Team Regular

Post by NewBlue » Sun Apr 23, 2017 9:46 am

1 win from 12 and 8 points from 36. I think I have honestly given up now. Don't know if I will bother going to the play off games if we somehow manage to hang on to 9th.

Jonblue
Reserve Team Regular

Post by Jonblue » Sun Apr 23, 2017 4:35 pm

I really hoped they would get three points from this game but the writing has been on the wall for several months now. Surely one of the worst seasons in our old club's history. Other strugglers have managed to string a few results together but our much vaunted pool of players have simply not performed. Looks as if we have completely run out of options and will be automatically relegated. Wholesale changes must surely be on the cards for next season including the manager whom I suspect will want to move on and start afresh with another club. The good ship Hope appears to be well and truly stuck on the rocks and Stenhousmuir and Stranraer must be cock a hoop -- who would have thought it. How disappointing!

True Bloo
Reserve Team Regular

Post by True Bloo » Sun Apr 30, 2017 9:20 am

It's never clever to be wise after the event, however, with us being one game away from automatic relegation, I feel that the board should have made a decision before the end of the year on replacing the manager. The rot had set in long before the end of last season culminating in an embarrassing play-off against Ayr Utd where we didn't turn up. This season began with a few new faces and a loan signing, however, we stuttered along in the bottom half of the league with no signs of improvement. We rely heavily on McAllister to work a bit of magic to win games for us and opposing teams have sussed this and set out their stall accordingly.
The board maintained their approach that "Jim will get it right" and we did manage a little purple patch in January when we managed to win a few games, however, that was overtaken by a 11 game run where we didn't win a game. Surely the alarm bells should have been ringing that a change was needed.
I can understand the problems with attracting quality players to the NE, however, the situation where half the team trains at Forfar and the other half further south and they only meet on match days does not help with teamwork and tactics.
It is sad to think that we are only 90 minutes away from returning to the division that we started in 17 years ago and Rodgers dream of emulating the fortunes of Ross County is just that - A DREAM :cry:

NewBlue
Reserve Team Regular

Post by NewBlue » Sun Apr 30, 2017 10:59 am

Can only agree with you TB.

I am looking forward to away days to Elgin though!

Seriously, however, you are right that we struggle to attract quality players up here but we were never going to make it to the Championship signing over paid central belt players who fail to perform and don't train together. No effort to develop the few young players we do have signed and just about every player in the team has gone backwards since they signed for us. Utter failure of a season.