Play Offs

Chat about football matters whether or not they relate to Peterhead FC
Blueblazer
Three-time Prediction King!

Play Offs

Post by Blueblazer » Sat May 06, 2017 10:30 pm

Think this deserves a new topic as we've hopefully got another 4 games to play. Away to Montrose on Wednesday and home on Saturday. If we can get through these then same again next week against Forfar or Annan ( think the highest placed team gets home second game which would be us).

Well, finally we have made it into the playoffs. Started off in the relagation place and just shows how fickle football can be as we played hockey-cokey several times (out then in then out then in). At 80 minutes we were down and Stenny were playing Elgin in the playoffs but a minute or so later Stenny had gone and it was us against Montrose.

The team at last showed the fight that we all knew was there somewhere coming from behind twice. Great that we finally started a game with two strikers up front and Leighton Mcintosh was excellent, taking the pressure off Rory and keeping the Alloa defence occupied. He tired after half time and was taken off but this enabled the fresh legs of Anderson and Riley to cause Alloa more problems.

Great stuff all round by the team, incidentally without any loan players in the line up, but the hard work is only starting and we need 4 more all out efforts to survive. Stenny must have thought they had done enough over the last few games and we have to make sure we don't join them next season.
Blueblazer :
Prediction League Champion 2002/2003; 2006/2007; 2013/2014

Blueblazer

Re: Play Offs

Post by Blueblazer » Thu May 11, 2017 9:32 pm

1-1 after the first leg at Montrose. Disappointed that McIntosh was dropped from the starting lineup as we missed his physical prescence up front. Templeman on the other hand was a real handful for our defence to contend with. Montrose were really up for the game and if we are going to progress then we need to match their effort and work rate in the second leg.
Blueblazer :

Blueblazer

Post by Blueblazer » Fri May 12, 2017 9:41 pm

Just seen that Rory is suspended for 2 games from the 20th May which means that if we get past Montrose then he'll miss the second leg of the play off final.

You couldn't make it up could you. :shock:
Blueblazer :

ELLON BRANCH
International Regular
Supports: Peterhead

Post by ELLON BRANCH » Sat May 13, 2017 12:13 am

We need to make sure he gets plenty opportunities before then to get in pole position.

Alan

Post by Alan » Sat May 13, 2017 9:13 am

We have to beat Montrose first before worrying about the next game.

Blueblazer

Post by Blueblazer » Sat May 13, 2017 9:29 pm

Two games down and two to play. Forfar away on Wednesday and home on Saturday.

Much better performance today and once the first goal went in the confidence flowed through the team and we controlled the rest of the game. Well done to everyone with Liam Gordon outstanding as he bossed Templeman throughout.

Big push needed against Forfar and we will have to be at our very best to survive in League 1 especially as Rory is suspended for the second leg.
Blueblazer :

Alan

Post by Alan » Tue May 16, 2017 10:14 am

The referee at Forfar is Stephen Finnie. Should we even bother to turn up? He will no doubt be the centre of attention as usual.

ELLON BRANCH
International Regular

Post by ELLON BRANCH » Tue May 16, 2017 10:29 pm

As most will know I don't rate him very highly to say the least, the only good thing I can say is better to have him away than at home going by past performances.

Flasher
Youth Team Captain

Post by Flasher » Thu May 18, 2017 1:28 am

DIVE.jpg
Simulation or a penalty? Definitely the game changer.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Flasher
Youth Team Captain

Post by Flasher » Thu May 18, 2017 1:03 pm

Blueblazer

Post by Blueblazer » Thu May 18, 2017 10:36 pm

Alan wrote:The referee at Forfar is Stephen Finnie. Should we even bother to turn up? He will no doubt be the centre of attention as usual.
Can't fault the effort of the players but unfortunately it came down to the actions of Stephen "Look At Me" Finnie throughout the match. The sending off changed the game and with Rory limping around after all the subs were on it was practically down to 9 men in the second half. Jamie Stevenson also went off injured so looks like a minimum of three changes for Saturday.

I suppose the whole atrocious season now comes down to the last remaining 90 minutes on Saturday which we simply must win to have any chance of staying up.
Blueblazer :

BlackanWhecht
Reserve Team Captain

Post by BlackanWhecht » Fri May 19, 2017 8:36 pm

Good luck the morn, fowk. I think you'll win by enough.

The consolation if you lose is two jaunts to Elgin and a cup of tea at Tesco.

recreation2
Youth Team Captain

Post by recreation2 » Fri May 19, 2017 9:05 pm

Went on to Forfar website and was not really surprised at the amount of vitriol directed at his Lordship "Finnie", it seems he is rated as an absolutely diddy throughout the leagues in Scotland, pleased to see PFC are appealing the simulation caution as it looked a cast iron spot kick. One of the interesting posts was along the lines of big Rory being a great footballer , but a fud (Their word not mine) of a man !! only comeback to that is he is a fairly good looking fud, whereas Finnie is an outstandingly ugly little fud!! Hopefully his age (Given as 47) will see him put out to pasture soon preferably one with lots of cow pats so he will have company , but the powers that be will have him on as a supervisor.coincedentally he is 4th official at Falkirk tonight and less than half an hour in he was bending the refs ear about being given verbal from Dundee United.

ELLON BRANCH
International Regular

Post by ELLON BRANCH » Sat May 20, 2017 1:19 am

Knowing yourself as a reasonable person that tends not to get caught up in unreasonable arguments rec 2 it confirms my own opinion which many may say is a bit ott but I think given Finnie has consistently been blatantly biased against us for at least I would say 5 years. I think I am correct in thinking you fulfilled a refereeing position all be it at a more local level & have an understanding of what is involved but Finnie being classed as a grade 1 ref really shows how bad the standard is in this country, honest mistakes can be accepted but while I know Jim has a bit of a record with officialdom I have a lot of sympathy with him he could find himself out of a job down to a few grudges held by refs that don't like their judgement questioned. There are a number of refs that do nothing to earn the respect of the players they are supposed to control Finnie definitely falls into that category.

bonzo
Reserve Team Captain

Post by bonzo » Sat May 20, 2017 12:59 pm

I have every confidence, that the boys can dig deep and keep us in the Scottish Div 1.

Not sure how much sleep I will get tonight down here in New Zealand
They're looking at me and I'm saying, it's not me, it's not me!!

Alan

Post by Alan » Sat May 20, 2017 5:24 pm

bonzo wrote:I have every confidence, that the boys can dig deep and keep us in the Scottish Div 1.

Not sure how much sleep I will get tonight down here in New Zealand
Be thankful you are sleeping in New Zealand and not having to watch a nightmare performance at Balmoor. I have seen some poor performances lately but this was by far the worst. Thank goodness this season is over.

Blueblazer

Post by Blueblazer » Sat May 20, 2017 6:41 pm

A number of woeful performances this season but we somehow managed to get ourselves a lifeline. How ironic then that we saved the worst for last.

I've seen a lot of shockingly bad games over the years but this has to be up there probably somewhere in the top one.

So sad that the lifeline turned out to a false hope but it's no more than we deserve and a lot of big decisions lie ahead.
Blueblazer :