What Next?

Chat about football matters whether or not they relate to Peterhead FC
cabbage
Youth Team Captain

What Next?

Post by cabbage » Sat May 20, 2017 5:26 pm

After what has been a crap season, what next?

ELLON BRANCH
International Squad Member
Supports: Peterhead

Re: What Next?

Post by ELLON BRANCH » Sat May 20, 2017 5:43 pm

Think it will need a couple days for the dust to settle & decisions made as to the future. Its been a very poor league season for us but we don't want to let things to continue on a downward spiral .

Pfc100
Youth Team Starter

Post by Pfc100 » Sat May 20, 2017 6:14 pm

It's maybe part of a plan to re join the highland league in a years time. For the chairman wanting to be like a club like Ross county , we have a very big hill to climb . This wasn't just about this season. This started half way through last season. I wonder how much fans we have lost over the last 2 seasons .

Blueblazer
Three-time Prediction King!

Post by Blueblazer » Sat May 20, 2017 6:45 pm

cabbage wrote:After what has been a crap season, what next?
Another crap season? Highland League?

Some big decisions for the club lie ahead and some major changes are probably needed.

Being in the bottom tier will make attracting decent players all the harder.
Blueblazer :
Prediction League Champion 2002/2003; 2006/2007; 2013/2014

gmac
Reserve Team Sub

Post by gmac » Sun May 21, 2017 3:10 pm

A disappointing end to the season, biggest problem , I feel, was inconsistancy. Not going to single out individuals as that would be pointless, although individual mistakes have been costly in certain games, but don't for a minute feel anyone was not trying. We have, at times, shown our capabilities, beating full time clubs, qualifying from a difficult group, but results from games we were expected to win were where we failed, too many drawn games from winning positions. No one will be hurting more than Jim and the coaching staff. Let the dust settle and re-evaluate, make necessary changes and and recharge then come out next season and show this was a blip. Part and parcel of football is highs and lows, unfortunately this season was a low, but we will return and I, for one, will still be there to support my team

Jonblue
Reserve Team Regular

Post by Jonblue » Sun May 21, 2017 4:38 pm

Good for you gmac but this was a real shocker in front of one of the largest gates of the season. Time to eat humble pie I am afraid and have a complete rethink on strategy for next season when I suspect the hard core of supporters could shrink. So many players too far away hence a lack of opportunities to train together so we are at a disadvantage perhaps -- is there such a shortage of good players nearer home?

I guess many players will move and it's hard to see what Peterhead FC can offer alternatives but who knows. What irritates me is how many times I have heard other managers say throughout the season that Peterhead should not be in this position and we believed it! Our results were consistently bad and my guess this is possibly the worst season in the history of Peterhead FC. Back to the drawing board!

NewBlue
Reserve Team Regular

Post by NewBlue » Sun May 21, 2017 4:41 pm

The thing is I am not convinced that this is a blip. If we include our disaster of a finish to last season then we have won 14 games out of 56 (including 3 against lower league teams) which is a terrible figure. I don't see how anyone couldn't see that we would go down this season after the end of last season. Two failed transfer windows have shown that we are incapable of recruiting the players we need and relegation will make that more difficult. The players we do have are going backwards. Ferry, S.Brown, McIntosh, Kev the Yank and others all looked fantastic when they signed for us and just aren't cutting it anymore. I would argue that apart from maybe Kelleher and S.Brown at the start of the season none of the signings added anything to the squad that wasn't there anyway. I agree that there has been effort from the players but the football we play is dire and predictable and we aren't beating anyone doing it. Too many long balls without looking and we are always getting overrun in the middle of the park, something has to change.

Jonblue
Reserve Team Regular

Post by Jonblue » Fri May 26, 2017 3:37 pm

I see that McMullin has now received a two game suspension for a 'frivolous' claim. Not much seems to go Peterhead's way when dealing with these matters with the SFA. One would almost think we were a marked team in more ways than one - and this for one of the oldest teams in Scottish football with an unblemished history. Harsh judgement methinks but nowt we can do about it and I should imagine PHD FC management are pretty frustrated!

This puts the cap on an awful season so it can only get better - can't it?

I guess nothing of much importance will happen until the manager's situation is decided. Has anyone any knowledge of what is happening in the background or rumours as much work has to be done before the beginning of next season!

"The Heid"
Reserve Team Sub

Post by "The Heid" » Mon May 29, 2017 9:13 am

Absolute silence from the club. Would have hoped the Manager would at least have had the balls to offer some sort of explanation and apology for the debacle this season became.. My fear is that he will decide his future at the club and not the board taking control. If he stays he should be questioned rigorously by the board on his training strategy(an utter joke), signings(no joke) and all round plan for improvement of players and results.. If he doesnt like the scrutiny then he can leave... Wonder how many of our signings have signed on the basis of an agreement on where they train. ie doon sooth... Imagine the mess if a new "more local" manager came in and god forbid held training in the Heid!!!!

ELLON BRANCH

Post by ELLON BRANCH » Mon May 29, 2017 1:24 pm

Don't know if its the case or not but holidays could account for board members, & other staff being away just now. There was a couple mentions of possible signings in last weeks paper, one was David Robertsons son, there was another name in another day but cant remember who it was offhand. Anyway it certainly seemed to indicate that Jim would be continuing. As for the location of training given the logistics of travel for most of the squad Forfar has probably been a reasonable choice, only having the squad together once a week has been questioned & may need to be reviewed. Don't know if previous contracts run until the end of May if so we could hear more of comings & goings next week. Now that the season is over my wish list to keep would be pretty small with Ryan Strachan, Rory, Nicky Riley, & Craig Reid being the players to build the squad round. Think I heard that Scott Brown & possibly Simon Ferry have already contracts But Jim needs to get it right after the disappointment of last season.

Flasher
Youth Team Captain

Post by Flasher » Tue May 30, 2017 8:50 am

Looks like we'll be seeing Nathan Blockley again next season - at least four times as he's signed for Stenhousemuir.

ELLON BRANCH

Post by ELLON BRANCH » Tue May 30, 2017 3:29 pm

Not everyone's favourite but always thought a decent squad player that filled in a numbers of positions pretty well when involved.

gmac
Reserve Team Sub

Post by gmac » Tue May 30, 2017 5:37 pm

Hope we start hearing progress soon, some clubs already making several signings. Need to move or we'll be left chasing last minute again

ELLON BRANCH

Post by ELLON BRANCH » Wed May 31, 2017 9:30 am

In todays paper that nine players have been released, Nathan Blockley, Grant Anderson, Fraser Hobday, Kevin Dzierzawski, Lieghton McIntosh, Steven Noble, Jamie Redman Graeme Smith & Craig Reid as mentioned would have liked to have seen Reid stay on but am not surprized or too upset about the players leaving. The hard part is finding suitable replacements now.

Alan

Post by Alan » Wed May 31, 2017 6:49 pm

ELLON BRANCH wrote:In todays paper that nine players have been released, Nathan Blockley, Grant Anderson, Fraser Hobday, Kevin Dzierzawski, Lieghton McIntosh, Steven Noble, Jamie Redman Graeme Smith & Craig Reid as mentioned would have liked to have seen Reid stay on but am not surprized or too upset about the players leaving. The hard part is finding suitable replacements now.
No mention of this on the website news section. Thanks for keeping us in the loop.

ELLON BRANCH

Post by ELLON BRANCH » Thu Jun 01, 2017 10:37 am

Today we are linked to East Kilbride forward Russell McLean, 18yrs old & 6ft 5" described as a Crouch type player. We are said to have offered deals to Blair Yule from Cove & Mason Robertson son of the former Aberdeen & Rangers defender. Also Jordan Brown has agreed a new 1 year deal.

Jonblue
Reserve Team Regular

Post by Jonblue » Thu Jun 01, 2017 2:01 pm

Not many 'local' players amongst that lot so it sounds like the same again next season. Surely to goodness there must be SOME decent Aberdeenshire players available or has football gone out of fashion in the NE!

Alan

Post by Alan » Thu Jun 01, 2017 9:15 pm

Jonblue wrote:Not many 'local' players amongst that lot so it sounds like the same again next season. Surely to goodness there must be SOME decent Aberdeenshire players available or has football gone out of fashion in the NE!
A local loon has been released by Aberdeen. He played for Scotland under 16s and under 17s. Must be worth a try.
https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/aaron-n ... ler/296060

Blueblazer

Post by Blueblazer » Fri Jun 02, 2017 12:27 am

Jonblue wrote:Not many 'local' players amongst that lot so it sounds like the same again next season. Surely to goodness there must be SOME decent Aberdeenshire players available or has football gone out of fashion in the NE!
Must be getting old as it's the fathers of these players I remember. :lol:

Blair Yule is the son of ex Peterhead player Raymond Yule, Mason Robertson is the son of David Robertson & Aaron Norris is the son of Kevin Norris ex Fraserburgh. Think all are local to Aberdeen city/shire. Not sure about the East Kilbride player although he did score against Buckie in the play offs so has been up north before!!!
Blueblazer :
Prediction League Champion 2002/2003; 2006/2007; 2013/2014

Jonblue
Reserve Team Regular

Post by Jonblue » Fri Jun 02, 2017 10:05 am

Thanks for the information guys. None of you sound exactly ecstatic about any of these names but perhaps that's a little unfair. I guess the club are not going to be a magnet for high calibre players. It sounds as if Jim is staying on as manager (wonder why still no announcement?). He may come up with a few surprises but it will be back to basics next season against teams who will be no pushover. Those 'heady' days seem but a distant memory now!