v Stirling Albion

Chat about football matters whether or not they relate to Peterhead FC
Jonblue
Reserve Team Regular
Supports: Peterhead

v Stirling Albion

Post by Jonblue » Sat Aug 26, 2017 8:00 pm

Sounds like another disastrous performance with Scott Ross likely to be given his cards!

Quote manager: "That will cost him dearly because as long as I'm here, he won't play."

So much for all the comments up to this game being bandied around that Peterhead are tipped to be the likely league winners this year. A gap with the top team is now opening up.

recreation2
Youth Team Captain

Re: v Stirling Albion

Post by recreation2 » Sat Aug 26, 2017 8:06 pm

What was all that about ????

NewBlue
Reserve Team Regular

Post by NewBlue » Sat Aug 26, 2017 8:16 pm

The thing is Scott Ross has been like that for years, he leads with an elbow in every challenge and attempt to win a header. It is just an excuse by the manager to cover his ineptitude. 4 goals conceded in 18 minutes and he waits until half time to change anything. What a shambles at the back we are again this year, it is hard to believe it is the same squad from the league cup.

stumpy74
Youth Team Captain

Post by stumpy74 » Sat Aug 26, 2017 8:21 pm

Shocking 1st half today to many players not good enough
Thought for a while now that we are an average highland league side but we were worse than that today wonder what cove could do to us
Where do we go now ????
Some really strange manager descions today

Erchie
S-Form

Post by Erchie » Sat Aug 26, 2017 8:54 pm

It's a shame about Scott as on his game he's the best we've got. Bloody idiot though. Releasing Strachan seems like a very poor decision now and McInally has some work to do if he's going to convince me that he deserves to still be in the job. After last season's total failure he has to sort things out quickly. Some of those players don't seem fit enough to me. Well beaten by a busier, livelier team today. I've got to question what they do in training. Not enough I would suggest.

strichener2
Lord of the prediction league

Post by strichener2 » Sat Aug 26, 2017 10:06 pm

If only we had a fitness coach. One that could help out at training and before the games....

Oh that's right, we do.

Bottom line is that we have once again ignored the local youth, imported players from far and wide that are no better than these locals and in most cases significantly worse. You have to wonder what has to happen for the manager to watch a game and see the influence that players have on it. Marc Lawrence must see some of the dross that we have and really question what he needs to do to get a decent run in the team.

Don't get me started on playing someone in the team that is clearly multiple stones overweight and blowing out his arse after 15 minutes. For all the mistakes made today, not subbing him has to be pretty high up the list.

As for the Scott Ross situation, I did two seasons ago that he should not have been back in a Peterhead shirt but let's not kid ourselves here - with McInally's squad choices this year and out complete lack of cover in defense, Scott Ross is needed. I didnt even think his sending off was a booking from where I was standing but was the result of theatrics from Scotland's new acting school - SAFC.

stumpy74
Youth Team Captain

Post by stumpy74 » Sat Aug 26, 2017 10:38 pm

Team does look so unfit and off the pace it's not real
And if your sprint coach is in his 70s we'll what do you expect

NewBlue
Reserve Team Regular

Post by NewBlue » Sun Aug 27, 2017 6:47 am

His sending off could have been a straight red. He ran at the boy leading with his elbow and made no attempt to win the ball. To be honest I am not sure why anyone rates him anyway as his distribution is woeful and he constantly out of position. Getting rid of Strachan was a mistake as he is such a good utility player and could easily slot in at CB at this level but maybe he didn't want to stay after last season anyway.

Have to agree about fitness, and I know he scored but apart from that I am not sure what Cairney does. Brown had a stinker at right back but what do you expect he is a midfielder although I thought Dikobo looked OK for the few minutes he played.

I do find it hard to believe that there isn't any other players that we could have got in especially to resolve the full back situation. Although Mcracken looks a good player signing him may have been too big a gamble if he is going to miss so many games. We are going to need another defender though without a doubt as these makeshift back 4's are costing us just like last season.

The squad must be on a low after the last two games and it is going to take something special to turn it around. I am hoping the cup game gives us a chance to do that without any pressure on the team.

As for Jim it seems he has learned nothing from last season and all the support he has rebuilt with the previously good start to the season appears to be quickly evaporating.

ELLON BRANCH
International Squad Member

Post by ELLON BRANCH » Sun Aug 27, 2017 9:31 am

Certainly a huge let down yesterday, the warning signs have been there in most of our games so far we have been fortunate that teams have not punished us like Albion did yesterday & Stenny last week. Have to agree with some of the points already mentioned, Ryan Strachan being allowed to leave looks like a big mistake, believe he wanted a starting place each game which is not a good demand but the way things have gone it would appear he would have walked into the team anyway. Also agree that Marc Lawrence could have been used rather than taking in a player that can not do anything Marc could if given a chance & used a wage that could have been used for another defender. The new left back don't know yet but as he knew for weeks he would be coming you would have expected him to get himself physically fit at least so he could get match fit sooner. Thought we had left ourselves short at the back even before yesterdays happenings but probably have to look for a loan or something. With so many new players coming in we are in danger of losing a real team spirit before it really gets a chance to come together. Next week or two could be very important for the club & what direction it takes.

Blueblazer
Three-time Prediction King!

Post by Blueblazer » Sun Aug 27, 2017 10:03 pm

Difficult to know where to start on that one. So much deja vu from last season and that's with us dropping down a level. Pre match injuries and in match injuries for Dikobo and Stevenson could maybe be partly used as an excuse but there are many other problems beside that.

Scott Ross's time sadly appears to be up and it doesn't look like he's able to change. A good player if he stuck to the football but has this kamikaze element about him. Could have gone at the first yellow but pulled back a bit at the last minute and only partially wiped out the Stirling player. Not sure how it works with him not being picked to play but still under contract. Guess he'll still take up a wage unless he can be fined a season's wages for 8 red cards and numerous bookings. We were short at the back before but now really need to add one, maybe two recognized defenders to the squad.

We knew that Cairney and Dikobo weren't fit when they signed but we need them to step up and get fit quickly. As favourites, we are there to be shot at and other teams will raise their game against us so we need to match their workrate before anything else. Stirling's workrate, hassling and mobility showed us up and other players were caught out fitness wise as has been said.

Still hoping we can recover and not get in a downward spiral like last season but it will take a lot of hard work and commitment. Certainly not going to be the stroll that the bookies predicted.
Blueblazer :
Prediction League Champion 2002/2003; 2006/2007; 2013/2014

Jonblue
Reserve Team Regular

Post by Jonblue » Mon Aug 28, 2017 8:11 am

I was also concerned by the level of injuries so early in the season. Agree with most of what has been said but Jim has got to get a grip of the situation and restore morale -- not just amongst the team but also supporters! I just do not think going so far afield for players and all that entails is working out but of course he is not exactly a local lad. Looks like panic measures yet again to get some defenders in before transfer deadline in a few days time but that did not exactly work out last year did it! At least, hopefully, this dire performance has put an end to PHD being seen as favourites as currently we seem to be there for the taking!

Alan

Post by Alan » Mon Aug 28, 2017 4:19 pm

Hard to believe but we are still favourites with the bookies to win the league. On Saturday it looked like we were going to win quite easily after taking the lead and playing some really good football before our hopes were dented with a sharp reality check. If Ross has played his last game it is vital we get an experienced defender, or two, to replace him. Time is running out to sign players before the deadline and patience with the manager must be wearing thin too. How can we beat Hearts but fail to beat Stenny and Stirling?

True Bloo
Reserve Team Regular

Post by True Bloo » Mon Aug 28, 2017 5:29 pm

Mcinally's comment in today's P & J, "I did say to them at half time to go out and win the second half, so I credit them for that." beggars belief. We lost at home 4-2 and I think the supporters deserve better than some of his clichéd excuses, which seem to have carried on from last season. The board seem to have this motto, "In Jim We Trust", despite him being in charge to two humiliating play-off defeats in the last 2 seasons culminating in relegation to the bottom tier of Scottish Football where we started 17 years ago :oops:

strichener2

Post by strichener2 » Mon Aug 28, 2017 5:41 pm

True Bloo wrote:
Mon Aug 28, 2017 5:29 pm
Mcinally's comment in today's P & J, "I did say to them at half time to go out and win the second half, so I credit them for that." beggars belief. We lost at home 4-2 and I think the supporters deserve better than some of his clichéd excuses, which seem to have carried on from last season. The board seem to have this motto, "In Jim We Trust", despite him being in charge to two humiliating play-off defeats in the last 2 seasons culminating in relegation to the bottom tier of Scottish Football where we started 17 years ago :oops:
Quite.

I am also surprised that he didn't mention that we also "won" the first ten minutes!!

NewBlue
Reserve Team Regular

Post by NewBlue » Mon Aug 28, 2017 6:34 pm

It wasn't even as if the second half was a great performance, Stirling cruised it and we barley troubled their keeper. I will be back on Saturday for the cup but if things don't improve soon I am going to struggle to justify spending anymore money on football this season.

ELLON BRANCH

Post by ELLON BRANCH » Wed Aug 30, 2017 1:32 pm

Don't really know how to take the bit in todays P&J it says McCracken has recovered from the injury that has kept him out which in itself is good news, was also mentioned how the defence had to be cobbled together on Saturday the worrying thing is there is no mention of getting more options in to relieve the situation that we are in with possibly only two actual defenders available McCracken & Brown. Know quite a few folk will be happy Scott Ross will not feature the same as some got on Ryan Strachans back a while ago, think Jim may have reacted too quickly over Ross & might have been better to give it the weekend before having it out with him. Am not trying to make excuses for him, did not see the incident at the time on Saturday & watching the highlights it did not seem particularly aggressive was trying to remember if it was Gavin Ross or the other one that reduced us to 8 players up at Elgin a few seasons ago including Scott Ross then sent him off again a couple weeks later down at Stenny which was later rightly rescinded. There were a number of worrying things on Saturday even before the game started I actually heard a senior player say to Stuart Hogg that exercises were out of sync, think Jim needs to get everyone together & get them all pulling in the same direction.

NewBlue
Reserve Team Regular

Post by NewBlue » Wed Aug 30, 2017 1:45 pm

To be honest I have not been a fan of Ross but I gave him his dues after the the first few games as I thought he had turned things around this season but he was really poor on Saturday. He maybe should have had a second yellow for an earlier challenge so he was pushing his luck until he was sent off, you could just tell he was going to go off in this game and was constantly leading with the elbow and making challenges in nothing areas of the park that he didn't need to. To be honest we had lost the game by the time he was sent off and he has been sent off for far worse in the past, so I wonder if there is more to it than Jim is letting on.

After watching the highlights it made me realise how poor Scott Brown was at RB which I never really noticed during the game proving that we desperately need cover as midfielders at full back are not working at all.

strichener2

Post by strichener2 » Wed Aug 30, 2017 2:17 pm

NewBlue wrote:
Wed Aug 30, 2017 1:45 pm
To be honest I have not been a fan of Ross but I gave him his dues after the the first few games as I thought he had turned things around this season but he was really poor on Saturday. He maybe should have had a second yellow for an earlier challenge so he was pushing his luck until he was sent off, you could just tell he was going to go off in this game and was constantly leading with the elbow and making challenges in nothing areas of the park that he didn't need to. To be honest we had lost the game by the time he was sent off and he has been sent off for far worse in the past, so I wonder if there is more to it than Jim is letting on.

After watching the highlights it made me realise how poor Scott Brown was at RB which I never really noticed during the game proving that we desperately need cover as midfielders at full back are not working at all.
It was interesting seeing Gibson ranting at the defence for the first three goals when he wasn't anywhere close to helping out. He should probably concentrate on his own game and in particular his tracking back (see 1:25, 1:54, 2:24 2:39 on the highlights to see his positioning for the goals).

Alan

Post by Alan » Wed Aug 30, 2017 4:51 pm

Can any of these guys play in defence?
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-n ... d-41095020

This guy might be the answer to our problems in defence.
https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/sport/ ... dumbarton/
Last edited by Alan on Wed Aug 30, 2017 6:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ELLON BRANCH

Post by ELLON BRANCH » Wed Aug 30, 2017 5:27 pm

It was interesting seeing Gibson ranting at the defence for the first three goals when he wasn't anywhere close to helping out. He should probably concentrate on his own game and in particular his tracking back (see 1:25, 1:54, 2:24 2:39 on the highlights to see his positioning for the goals).

Just shows how folk see things differently did not notice on Saturday but having been at a number of games home & away I have mentioned how impressed I have been with Willies tracking back considering he is 33 & one of our main forwards. There was also a mention of Scott Brown not being a very good right back this could be because he is an attacking midfielder who funnily enough I think was beginning to show a more positive attitude going forward & having a go at goal.