It's strange...

Chat about football matters whether or not they relate to Peterhead FC
Jonblue
Reserve Team Regular
Supports: Peterhead

It's strange...

Post by Jonblue » Thu Apr 05, 2018 9:00 am

..that this forum is so quiet nowadays particularly for a team that leads it's division and has a chance albeit maybe a slim one of winning the title. I sense that few now really believe this after the Montrose defeat and have little confidence in winning any play offs based on past experience. Rather concerning as there are some die hard supporters on here. Perhaps I have got it completely wrong . It has been a topsy turvy season and I guess the end result is too difficult to call so we all stay stum. The gates this season as far as I can see are lacklustre and one wonders if Peterhead would ever make the 'big time' and that this is as good as it will get. All a bit depressing for a town approaching 20000 folk but support for the club even in my day was abysmal and apathy ruled!

For what it's worth, I think we might just get promoted by a whisker!

strichener2
Lord of the prediction league

Re: It's strange...

Post by strichener2 » Thu Apr 05, 2018 1:31 pm

It isn't really that strange TBH. The lack of any fan engagement from the Club is to blame in my opinion. I am not sure about Facebook and Twitter as I don't use either but the official website, although improved, does not really have the sort of articles that have the fans wanting to visit often outside of games.

The club itself doesn't appear to consider that the fans worthy of updating and you arrive at games scratching your head when you look at the bench and wonder why x, y and z aren't on it. After 10 weeks you start to question where these players are and then find that they were released or farmed out to juniors etc.

It's quite simple - if the club wants to attract fans, then it needs something to attract them in the first place and then engagement to keep them.

Jonblue
Reserve Team Regular

Post by Jonblue » Thu Apr 05, 2018 2:25 pm

Good points strichener 2 - it takes two to Tango! Let's hope management sit up and take notice although they may never look at this site!!

Bluetoonser
S-Form

Post by Bluetoonser » Thu Apr 05, 2018 4:40 pm

I am one of the volunteers who update the website and social media and will admit that Facebook and Twitter does tend to be where most information is shared as this is a much simpler way to get daily news out whereas the website (much more complex and time-consuming to update!) is the go-to place for important information regarding matches, contact info etc. We have added a club shop and you can now read the club programme online which we feel are two good additions but what else would you like to see there that would make you feel more engaged? We always welcome feedback to try to improve and if doable we will try to accommodate. On a side note though it is worth remembering that we are a part-time club with only two full-time members of staff who are kept very busy with managing the off-the-pitch side of the club. Many jobs are done by volunteers and fans (news articles, interviews, highlights) who are juggling their own jobs with their contributions to the club so we are always looking for more to join our ranks. If anyone has the time to commit and fancies contributing to the programme/website we would welcome articles - any local football historians out there who want to write a piece or youth coaches who want to submit news about their teams - all are welcome! :D

ELLON BRANCH
International Regular

Post by ELLON BRANCH » Thu Apr 05, 2018 9:40 pm

Must admit I do still check this out regularly but there is certainly less chat on here nowadays. The club seems to use Facebook & Twitter with news etc repeated on the web page. Find there are a few more Peterhead supporters now on Pie & Bovril where games players etc are discussed sometimes not very sensibly as its a open forum. As for crowds probably has not helped this season as nobody in this division takes much fans with them so we are stuck with the faithful 5-700 most of the time.

Alan
Three-time Prediction King!

Post by Alan » Thu Apr 05, 2018 11:13 pm

I agree with previous comments and a good example of this is the situation with Paul Cairney. The last item I remember reading about him had the title "Just watch Paul go for us says Peterhead boss McInally". Go where? What has happened to him?
https://www.eveningexpress.co.uk/fp/spo ... -mcinally/

NewBlue
Reserve Team Regular

Post by NewBlue » Fri Apr 06, 2018 10:22 am

I can only echo what has been said already.

The only thing I will add as I am on the fence a little bit about this season. Yes we are top of the league and doing well but we should be there abouts with the players we brought in. If we don't go up though it could be seen as a bi of a disaster of a season, so although it is exciting I have been a bit hot & cold about it sometimes.

Alan
Three-time Prediction King!

Post by Alan » Fri Apr 06, 2018 2:24 pm

Good news about Rory in the Evening Express. I must have missed it on the club website.
https://www.eveningexpress.co.uk/fp/spo ... d-balmoor/

ELLON BRANCH
International Regular

Post by ELLON BRANCH » Fri Apr 06, 2018 2:43 pm

Think it was mentioned somewhere a few weeks back the Evening maybe looking for a space filler today. We did get a mention when it was first mentioned but the supporters club made a contribution to enable this extension.

243Miles
Youth Team Sub

Post by 243Miles » Fri Apr 06, 2018 9:41 pm

Have to admit I would have thought this forum would have been busier. However I have no axe to grind with the Official site, Volunteers do their bit and should be appreciated and I for one do.

The strangest thing for me this season is the incredible inconsistency of the team. This squad and some of the quality within should have been comfortably winning this league but have underachieved. The biggest problem is that the defence crumbles more often than not after losing a goal they in the most part have been guilty of causing!!! Ironic that goal difference may win Peterhead the Championship the Offence saving the Defence.

The Balmoor Faithful have been a pleasure to be part of this season for my family and I, and we thank you very much. :D