Win loose or draw on saturday

Chat about football matters whether or not they relate to Peterhead FC
stumpy74
Youth Team Captain
Supports: Peterhead

Win loose or draw on saturday

Post by stumpy74 » Thu May 10, 2018 10:36 pm

Well if we win loose or draw on Saturday will Jim still be here next year ???
And who else should be leaving with him :o

Jonblue
Reserve Team Regular

Re: Win loose or draw on saturday

Post by Jonblue » Fri May 11, 2018 9:14 am

I very much doubt he will stay if we do not get promotion and the team could be a very different one next season. Jim has given it his best shot and must be frustrated and fancy pastures new although he clearly appreciates all the support from PHD management. I guess I am a pessimist but when we lost that critical away game against Montrose I feared the worst as play offs are not our strong point but sincerely hope I am wrong. Stenny with their 2 goal lead will play with confidence on Saturday whilst our injury prone team are bound to be jittery. If we lose, many die hard supporters will be disillusioned I fear and even I, a far away but avid lifetime supporter, for the first time in my life am losing interest However, football is full of surprises and I live in hope!

stumpy74
Youth Team Captain

Post by stumpy74 » Sat May 12, 2018 7:48 pm

Has he left the building yet ???

Jonblue
Reserve Team Regular

Post by Jonblue » Sun May 13, 2018 5:09 pm

SO depressing but not entirely unexpected. So much promise but to lose this way is painful to say the least! I suspect we will see big changes next season on all fronts and I think Stenhousmuir's manager was being polite when he said that PHD would gain promotion next year. End of an era for the Blues perhaps but you guys are far closer to the action than me - a mere armchair critic.

Did we manage to muster a 1000 gate by any chance?

Nev
The Boss

Post by Nev » Mon May 14, 2018 1:33 pm

Just reading the reaction from Jim to Saturday's events, and his view of the fourth official, Gavin Ross' perceived role.

The name rang a bell so I looked it up, and sure enough... Gavin Ross was the referee who sent off Scott Ross twice in the space of 4 matches back in 2012 - against Elgin along with Callum Macdonald and Stevie Noble, and again against East Stirling a few games later.

I know we're getting into Ellon Branch levels of referee obsession here, but what's he got against Peterhead?

ELLON BRANCH
International Regular

Post by ELLON BRANCH » Mon May 14, 2018 3:56 pm

And his brother was the Tory Mp that thought a jolly to work in Spain was more important than voting in Westminster we have had him running the line at Balmoor a few times lately. One bit of good news from the weekend was that a certain Mr Finnie retired after being in charge at Killie don't suppose he will take my advice on where to stick his whistle although it would probably appeal to his attention seeking ego that every time he let one go his whistle would blow. Would be lying if I said he will be missed.

True Bloo
Reserve Team Regular

Post by True Bloo » Mon May 14, 2018 6:56 pm

I don't think the 4th official or the referee contributed to our failure to gain promotion - clutching at straws springs to mind. I find it interesting that one of our other failed managers, John Sheran, is also blaming the officials for Cove Rangers defeat at Cowdenbeath. I wonder if messrs Mcinally, Sheran and Neil Lennon all attended the same SFA coaching coarse - referees are human and make mistakes same as players, however, they are an easy touch to blame after a defeat :roll:

NewBlue
Reserve Team Regular

Post by NewBlue » Wed May 16, 2018 10:06 am

Both sending offs were completely justified. I have no idea what the hell either of them was playing at when they were both already on a booking. Even if they hadn't I don't think it would have changed the outcome, at the end of the day we needed to score 3 goals and our only recognised striker was playing in defence.

In other news:

https://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/fp/sp ... -decision/

Looks like we can look forward to more of the same next season.

Nev
The Boss

Post by Nev » Wed May 16, 2018 10:43 am

True Bloo wrote:
Mon May 14, 2018 6:56 pm
I don't think the 4th official or the referee contributed to our failure to gain promotion - clutching at straws springs to mind.
I'd tend to agree.

Jonblue
Reserve Team Regular

Post by Jonblue » Wed May 16, 2018 11:33 am

So what's the supporters view about the manager? Sounds as if the board want to keep him on.

Flasher
Youth Team Captain

Post by Flasher » Wed May 16, 2018 12:04 pm

Not only the board want to keep him on but players and many fans (although not the trolls on P and B ). What would the alternative be? A new manager would want his own players and Jim will tell you that last season, 19 good players turned us down because of the distance in travelling.
That's what we are up against. The alternative is to recruit locally but we can't compete with some of the highland league teams on wages believe it or not. Although it was disappointing to lose the league by one point and lose the play off final by one goal, that's football.At the end of the day, when we had a fit squad, we were a very good side to watch but injuries inevitably took their toll (Nicky Riley for example) and the standard of player needed to cover just wasn't available. I would be sorry to lose Jim and Davie as I know the effort and commitment they have put into the team over the years and a lot of highs along the way.(Petrofac final, League Champions, scoring 5 against Falkirk, beating Rangers at Ibrox, beating Hearts etc etc etc)

NewBlue
Reserve Team Regular

Post by NewBlue » Wed May 16, 2018 12:41 pm

To be honest I think he should go. And it shouldn't be his choice.

I appreciate he is a nice guy but when the fans sitting in the stands each week can see blatant problems and they aren't be addressed then he obviously isn't up for the job. I don't think all of our problems are down to the players although I appreciate that is an issue (although Montrose seem to have won the league with our rejects). The systems we play I think is a bigger problem as with the 4-3-3 we are always over run in midfield by teams that pass the ball around and our full backs are constantly exposed.

Furthermore the team has no bottle at all. The players and team can talk about how upset they are after the game but when was the last time we won a 'must win' game? Humiliated by Ayr and then Forfar then bottled it against Montrose and Stenny when it counted. It was so obvious we were going to be relegated in the 2016/17 season and I said that before the first game and no one at the club seemed to take it as a serious possibility.

Finally the signings the last few seasons have been awful. If we have to offer better wages to get players in then we need to stop wasting money on duds that disappear after a few months.

strichener2
Lord of the prediction league

Post by strichener2 » Wed May 16, 2018 11:34 pm

Flasher wrote:
Wed May 16, 2018 12:04 pm
Not only the board want to keep him on but players and many fans (although not the trolls on P and B ). What would the alternative be? A new manager would want his own players and Jim will tell you that last season, 19 good players turned us down because of the distance in travelling.
That's what we are up against. The alternative is to recruit locally but we can't compete with some of the highland league teams on wages believe it or not. Although it was disappointing to lose the league by one point and lose the play off final by one goal, that's football.At the end of the day, when we had a fit squad, we were a very good side to watch but injuries inevitably took their toll (Nicky Riley for example) and the standard of player needed to cover just wasn't available. I would be sorry to lose Jim and Davie as I know the effort and commitment they have put into the team over the years and a lot of highs along the way.(Petrofac final, League Champions, scoring 5 against Falkirk, beating Rangers at Ibrox, beating Hearts etc etc etc)
Yet along with all those highs, we appear to make the same mistakes over and over again. I don't know any of the management team personally and therefore I am able to base my opinion purely as a football fan. How many years can we go signing midfielder after midfielder and play them in defense, sign dross, players on the downward part of their career and then more dross that disappear off the face of the earth?

If you know the management team so well, why don't you find out the last time they even attended a Highland league game, how many "local" players they have spoken to. It is quite clear that we aren't interested in either finding or developing local talent and the treatment of Marc Lawrence this season has been shameful.

Sorry, they may very well be nice guys but this fan thinks it is time to freshen the club up and become more than a one team club start interacting (and integrating) with the local area. Get a youth team on the go, develop our own talent and build for the future rather than getting the cheque book out to pay players from 100s of miles away to play for us. It has all just went a tad stale at the moment.