Re: Comings & goings for 2018/19

Post by gmac » Mon Jun 04, 2018 8:29 am

Presume we still have Mark Lawerence in squad too

ELLON BRANCH
International Regular
Supports: Peterhead

Post by ELLON BRANCH » Mon Jun 04, 2018 8:49 am

Not sure about Marc if now fully fit would think he might be at the stage of looking for regular game time, has been unfortunate that when a chance of getting a game he was having treatment.
Have not heard any word of Paul Cairney thought he would be a big player for us last year but it turned out that he was just big, it was known he suffered from that but have never heard if his contract which I presume was for one season was terminated or what.

Blueblazer
Three-time Prediction King!

Post by Blueblazer » Mon Jun 04, 2018 12:46 pm

gmac wrote:
Mon Jun 04, 2018 8:29 am
Presume we still have Mark Lawerence in squad too
His contract is up. Not sure if he has been offered a new deal.

https://www.eveningexpress.co.uk/fp/spo ... peterhead/

Also mentioned in that article is Aiden Sopel - what happened to him?

Also Alan Smith and the aformentioned Aiden McIlduff and Nicky Riley - no word about them?

Presume Sammy the Scurry has been retained. :lol:
Last edited by Blueblazer on Mon Jun 04, 2018 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Blueblazer :
Prediction League Champion 2002/2003; 2006/2007; 2013/2014

Blueblazer
Three-time Prediction King!

Post by Blueblazer » Mon Jun 04, 2018 12:51 pm

Nev wrote:
Sun Jun 03, 2018 9:55 pm
So:

GK (1): Fleming
Def (3): J Brown, Robertson, Boyle
Mid (8): Stevenson, Riley(?), S Brown, Ferry, Leitch, Gibson, Kavanagh, Norris
Stk (2): McAllister, McLean
Sounds about right - not enough defenders, overloaded in midfield and no cover up front. :lol:

Kavanagh on most websites is listed as a striker or is he one of those adaptable players who can play anywhere. ;)

Seriously though, hope the lessons of last season have been learned and we do end up with a decent defence and some quality up front.
Blueblazer :
Prediction League Champion 2002/2003; 2006/2007; 2013/2014

NewBlue
Reserve Team Regular

Post by NewBlue » Mon Jun 04, 2018 2:41 pm

Blueblazer wrote:
Mon Jun 04, 2018 12:51 pm
Nev wrote:
Sun Jun 03, 2018 9:55 pm
So:

Def (3): J Brown, Robertson, Boyle
Mid (8): Stevenson, Riley(?), S Brown, Ferry, Leitch, Gibson, Kavanagh, Norris
Sounds about right - not enough defenders, overloaded in midfield and no cover up front. :lol:

Kavanagh on most websites is listed as a striker or is he one of those adaptable players who can play anywhere. ;)

Seriously though, hope the lessons of last season have been learned and we do end up with a decent defence and some quality up front.
Our site has him listed as a winger but I imagine he will end up playing as forward to suit our formation. Really need to get some defenders in now.

ELLON BRANCH
International Regular

Post by ELLON BRANCH » Mon Jun 04, 2018 3:44 pm

Some word in todays paper of speaking to Ferns & Mick Dunlop from Stenny a winger & Defender

Nev
The Boss

Post by Nev » Wed Jun 06, 2018 11:28 am

Dunlop signed apparently: https://www.eveningexpress.co.uk/fp/spo ... next-term/

So updated squad looks like this (I've removed Riley since there's no confirmation). Sounds to me like Kavanagh is a winger which I'd always count as a midfielder, but others may count as an attacker /shrug

Def (4): J Brown, Robertson, Boyle, Dunlop
Mid (7): Stevenson, S Brown, Ferry, Leitch, Gibson, Kavanagh, Norris

Requiring confirmation: McIlduff, Lawrence, Riley, Smith.

The Postman
S-Form

Post by The Postman » Wed Jun 06, 2018 2:08 pm

Right guys......... Mark Lawrence Is Off To The States On A Soccer Scholarship & Paul Cairney Is Away Elsewhere...........For More News Watch This Space

P.S As Promised......The Posty Always Delivers :mrgreen:

ELLON BRANCH
International Regular

Post by ELLON BRANCH » Wed Jun 06, 2018 6:49 pm

Hope things work out for Marc. Paul Cairney had lots going for him but was either unwilling or unable to help himself.

Connor2905
S-Form

Post by Connor2905 » Wed Jun 06, 2018 8:46 pm

Allan Smith has joined Edinburgh City

ELLON BRANCH
International Regular

Post by ELLON BRANCH » Wed Jun 06, 2018 10:00 pm

Think most folk would have been happy to see Alan stay, possibly did not score as many as he should have but certainly kept defences busy & was a good option to have.

gmac
Reserve Team Sub

Post by gmac » Thu Jun 07, 2018 10:28 am

Sorry to see Allan go, always gave 100%. Wish him well at Edinburgh, apart from 4 games this season

Flasher
Youth Team Captain

Post by Flasher » Thu Jun 07, 2018 11:07 am

Sorry to see Allan go but as he lives in the Borders, the travelling was probably getting to him.

strichener2
Lord of the prediction league

Post by strichener2 » Thu Jun 07, 2018 12:47 pm

It's surprising how many players we appear to be able to pick up from the borders or thereabouts whilst closer to home with a higher population density, lack of rugby (comparatively) appears bereft of suitable candidates.

Perhaps we should employ some of the existing management team to do some scouting??? However only give them a megarider bus ticket!!!!

gmac
Reserve Team Sub

Post by gmac » Thu Jun 07, 2018 2:44 pm

Looking at ins & outs, would appear a back-up keeper, possibly defender and striker would still be required. But good to see early signings rather than July rush to pick best of what's left.

NewBlue
Reserve Team Regular

Post by NewBlue » Thu Jun 07, 2018 3:33 pm

strichener2 wrote:
Thu Jun 07, 2018 12:47 pm
It's surprising how many players we appear to be able to pick up from the borders or thereabouts whilst closer to home with a higher population density, lack of rugby (comparatively) appears bereft of suitable candidates.

Perhaps we should employ some of the existing management team to do some scouting??? However only give them a megarider bus ticket!!!!
Come on we all know there are no local players whatsoever or Premiership clubs on our doorstep that we could possibly sign players from ;)

recreation2
Youth Team Captain

Post by recreation2 » Thu Jun 07, 2018 5:21 pm

Re Borders/ Local players, we have not for a number of years had much of a relationship with the local Premier League side , I can harken back to the days when Aberdeen farmed out young players to harden them up,names like Jim Leighton, John McMaster, Doug Rougvie (?), and Willie Miller, all of whom went on to have outstanding careers at club and international level.That no longer seems to happen, why I don't know, but there is no inter club fraternizing which could be beneficial to both parties.

ELLON BRANCH
International Regular

Post by ELLON BRANCH » Thu Jun 07, 2018 8:31 pm

Something that keeps coming up about local players, do they need to come from spitting distance of Balmoor or would Hatton or Ellon be acceptable. Am sure supporters & the club would be happy if it were possible to come up with a capable local team to compete in the league. We are in a difficult position now not having a Under 19 or similar team I think due to cost among other things since the SFA or League stopped giving cash to help with the cost, the end result is we need to bring in players that are very near 1st team standard. The other option is to sign players other teams such as Aberdeen have brought on but have released like Marc Lawrence, Aaron Norris & others in the past. Did not get to too many HFL or Junior matches this past season myself but when at games cannot say I have seen any player that I have thought he would be better than what we have, we have tried getting a few players from the Highland league but for one reason or another they have decided the HFL is for them. I think the loan system is changing in the coming season with players possibly being loaned for the whole season, not sure how this will affect clubs running with small squads as a few injuries could leave teams really struggling. Anyway getting back to local talent am sure if supporters think there is some untapped local talent the club should check out a word with Natty or Jim would not be ignored.

NewBlue
Reserve Team Regular

Post by NewBlue » Thu Jun 07, 2018 9:22 pm

From my point of view it just seems bizarre that we have the 2nd best team in the country next door and never seem to get players from them. We have had loans from Dundee and St Johnston etc , so seems odd that we don't take players from Aberdeen.

As for local talent I am not too bothered where they come from to be honest but we seem to have a habit of getting rid of younger players in favour of older 'professionals' some of whom have been found wanting. I think this was summed up when we were 2-0 down to Brora a couple of seasons ago in the cup, it really showed what a well organised team could do against a bunch of individuals regardless of individual talent. I suppose another example would be Montrose winning the league - at the end of the day if a team is well organised, drilled and motivated then individual talent is a bonus and not something that is required to carry the team.

At the end of they day if the club is serious about following in the footsteps of other highland clubs then we need to look at the foundations and not keep chucking money at the first team. Finally, it is not the job of fans to go looking for talent for the club to sign, that should be done by the club as a matter of course. Surely it would be cheaper to take a chance on a couple of 'locals' than paying a signing fee to some no mark from the central belt who disappears after a few weeks.