George Ritchie

Chat about football matters whether or not they relate to Peterhead FC
Alan
Three-time Prediction King!

George Ritchie

Post by Alan » Sun Sep 30, 2018 5:04 pm

Sad to hear the news about George Ritchie passing away. He was a Peterhead FC fan through and through and had a vast knowledge of the club and it's history. His devotion and hard work for the club is very much appreciated and will be long remembered by all who knew him. RIP.

ELLON BRANCH
International Regular
Supports: Peterhead

Re: George Ritchie

Post by ELLON BRANCH » Sun Sep 30, 2018 9:55 pm

Sad news indeed, as has been said a great servent to Peterhead Football Club & beyond. Used to enjoy a discussion on here with him, don't think Popeye ever admitted to maybe being wrong he definitely stuck to his guns, he will be missed.

Nev
The Boss

Post by Nev » Sun Sep 30, 2018 11:31 pm

Very sad news, George was a big part of this website's busier days, and a font of all knowledge when it came to the club. A sad loss for the club and the wider community

Blueblazer

Post by Blueblazer » Mon Oct 01, 2018 10:26 pm

Very sad news about George. Knew him well and had many a conversation with him which nearly always turned into a history lesson about his beloved PFC.

Don't think it's any secret that he was Popeye on this forum and the Good Old Days section was almost entirely down to him and his knowledge of the club and indeed the town.

Well worth another read and a fitting tribute to the memory of George.
Blueblazer :
Prediction League Champion 2002/2003; 2006/2007; 2013/2014

BlackanWhecht
Reserve Team Captain

Post by BlackanWhecht » Wed Oct 03, 2018 11:37 pm

Really sorry to learn of the death of my old sparring partner on this board and the Elgin City board. In fact we agreed about most things. He really knew his football and his town. Read his book. Good stuff.

Jonblue
Reserve Team Regular

Popeye

Post by Jonblue » Thu Oct 04, 2018 9:46 am

I never knew he was the famous Popeye. His knowledge of PFC and the town was absolutely incredible. What was his occupation before retirement?

ELLON BRANCH
International Regular

Post by ELLON BRANCH » Thu Oct 04, 2018 12:30 pm

Think it was mentioned somewhere that George was a Baker & then an Insurance man before being secretary at the club. Don't know if you know of his book about the club/town "mine eyes have seen the glory" which is a fine legacy to leave

Jonblue
Reserve Team Regular

Post by Jonblue » Thu Oct 04, 2018 9:25 pm

I might treat myself to a copy assuming it is still in print! I once got the better of Popeye when I corrected him on the name of the winger (the fastest in the Highland league at the time) who played in a Peterhead/Broch select against Celtic in the late 40's. I knew I was onto a winner as the player in question - a Sandy MacDonald ( who married the Provost's daughter) used to sit in front of me at church - doon sooth and mentioned the game. As someone said, Popeye agreed sort of begrudgingly but came up trumps with a photo of both teams taken before the match which Sandy was astonished to see for the first time and it quite made his day - something to pass onto his grandchildren. In those days every Celtic player was a household name - Charlie Tully etc. The crowd that day was over 6000 - now we would look upon 600 as a decent turn out! As George would have said,' Mine Eyes have seen the glory!'

Alan

Post by Alan » Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:30 pm

A minute's applause for George Ritchie before the game against Elgin City, one of the teams George used to love beating in the Highland League -
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gclDISUcbQI

Jonblue
Reserve Team Regular

Post by Jonblue » Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:47 am

Thanks Alan - a fitting tribute to George!