gb olympic team

This is the place for any topics not related to Peterhead FC. Almost anything goes
akie
Former Prediction King!
Supports: Peterhead

gb olympic team

Post by akie » Mon Jul 28, 2008 9:32 am

cannae stand the thought of there being a "team gb" at the london olympics

http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/NTOBFT/

sign this if you feel the same
whats the matter you hey
gotta no respect hey
awshadupayaface

amego
Youth Team Sub

Re: gb olympic team

Post by amego » Thu Jul 31, 2008 12:46 pm

DO NOT MAKE THIS A REALITY SFA.

Just awful. I shudder at the thought of a GB team.....
Gretna FC R.I.P

akie
Former Prediction King!

Post by akie » Mon Jan 19, 2009 10:43 am

just thought id give this a wee bump in case anybodys missed it!!!
questions have been raised in westminster and holyrood and our national football team is at stake

check out http://www.noteamgb.com
whats the matter you hey
gotta no respect hey
awshadupayaface

akie
Former Prediction King!

Post by akie » Fri Jan 30, 2009 10:02 pm

this letter was sent out and released to the press today

Mr J. Valcke,
Secretary General,
FIFA,
FIFA-Strasse 20,
PO Box 8044
Zurich,
Switzerland.

30 January, 2009

Dear Jérôme,

Further to your letter of 14th January, we would like to issue a joint statement regarding the proposal of participation in the 2012 Olympic Games under a unified banner of “Team GB”.

We are all autonomous entities within World football and each association competes in all International tournaments under our own identities of Scotland, Northern Ireland and Wales. This applies to World Cups and European Championships at football level and of course down through the various age groups. It is our considered opinion that the Olympic Games does not give each of us, respectfully and jointly, the same rights or privileges we are presently afforded by FIFA and UEFA in respect of autonomous representation. Therefore, we cannot view the Olympic Games as being a bona fide football tournament.

In addition to the foregoing, we would like to further clarify our position regarding football in the Olympic Games:-

1. The Olympic Games involves many different events but one common factor that should prevail is that participation and success in the Games should be the pinnacle for the sport in question. This is certainly the case with track and field, gymnastics, cycling, rowing and swimming. However, in football this is certainly not the case. The World Cup and European Championships are regarded as the major tournaments. It is our opinion that football should not be an Olympic event.

2. Our contention that football is not, and should not be, considered a serious Olympic event is substantiated by the fact that it is designated as an Under 23 contest. We consider that this not only de-values the involvement of football in the Olympic Games but it also means that a discriminatory element is introduced to the event. No other sport has an age-related qualifying element. We feel that this, in itself, is an unacceptable regulatory inclusion.

3. The Olympic Games takes place in August. This appears to take no account of the fact that the football season has already begun and that clubs would be materially inconvenienced with the loss of called-up players. At this time, it is not known which players would be required. However, it is easy to anticipate the reaction there would be from club coaches who would lose players at a time when they had vital matches to fulfil. This may even include crucial European qualifying matches.

/…..

-2-

28th January, 2009
Mr J. Valcke,
Secretary General,
FIFA,

For the avoidance of doubt, we wish to take this opportunity to formally re-iterate that we will not participate in a “Team GB” in the 2012 Olympic Games. Furthermore, we categorically state that we do not think that football should be an Olympic event. However, as it is so classified, we do not believe there is a justification for there being a Great Britain team participating therein. Our common stance is unwavering. Moreover, our supporters’ organisations have all made it clear that we have their total backing in this respect.

In view of the above, we do not believe there would be any merit in a meeting to discuss this matter further.

Yours sincerely,

scottish fa
Welsh FA
N.Irish FS
whats the matter you hey
gotta no respect hey
awshadupayaface

akie
Former Prediction King!

Post by akie » Tue Mar 24, 2009 4:02 pm

whats the matter you hey
gotta no respect hey
awshadupayaface

yorkshire toon
Youth Team Starter

Post by yorkshire toon » Tue Mar 24, 2009 6:58 pm

Good vid, i'd hate a team GB.
Press alt+f4 for a suprise.

NewBlue
Reserve Team Regular

Post by NewBlue » Thu Mar 26, 2009 12:07 am

Hi there, I know this is my first post and it seems a sensitive topic but I don't really understand everyone’s opposition to a GB Football team at the Olympics. I know each country within the UK has its own FA but I don’t see the problem with entering an under 23's competition once every 4 years. I really don't see how this would jeopardize the Scottish team in the European or World cup. Well that’s my opinion anyway.

akie
Former Prediction King!

Post by akie » Thu Mar 26, 2009 9:32 am

NewBlue wrote:Hi there, I know this is my first post and it seems a sensitive topic but I don't really understand everyone’s opposition to a GB Football team at the Olympics. I know each country within the UK has its own FA but I don’t see the problem with entering an under 23's competition once every 4 years. I really don't see how this would jeopardize the Scottish team in the European or World cup. Well that’s my opinion anyway.

so you think sepp blatters comments that "this could seriously jepordize the four home nations status as individual competing nations" should not be taken seriously??
whats the matter you hey
gotta no respect hey
awshadupayaface

peteroot
Reserve Team Captain

Post by peteroot » Thu Mar 26, 2009 6:55 pm

Anyway how many Scottish players would get in the team, zilch?

akie
Former Prediction King!

Post by akie » Thu Mar 26, 2009 7:43 pm

peteroot wrote:Anyway how many Scottish players would get in the team, zilch?

doesnae matter,if its 11 scots or no scots,it could potentialy be the end of scotland as a a national team
whats the matter you hey
gotta no respect hey
awshadupayaface

NewBlue
Reserve Team Regular

Post by NewBlue » Thu Mar 26, 2009 10:02 pm

Well ok I can see they would start down that path of one GB team, but I don’t think it would ever come about. There would too many problems and with the opposition form the other FAs I don’t think they could make it happen. They would have to form some kind of British FA which I don’t think would work.
All I meant was the Olympics should just been seen as I a bit of fun and a chance for some youngsters to get some more experience. And if they go ahead with the plan to enter an all English British team then why not try and get a couple of Scottish players on it? Rather that than seeing all of those English players representing 'Britain'.
But yeah we all know exactly how many Scottish players the 'British' coaches would select!!!

akie
Former Prediction King!

Post by akie » Thu Mar 26, 2009 10:41 pm

NewBlue wrote:Well ok I can see they would start down that path of one GB team, but I don’t think it would ever come about. There would too many problems and with the opposition form the other FAs I don’t think they could make it happen. They would have to form some kind of British FA which I don’t think would work.
All I meant was the Olympics should just been seen as I a bit of fun and a chance for some youngsters to get some more experience. And if they go ahead with the plan to enter an all English British team then why not try and get a couple of Scottish players on it? Rather that than seeing all of those English players representing 'Britain'.
But yeah we all know exactly how many Scottish players the 'British' coaches would select!!!
very naive james that last post
its a joint opposition from all four supporters group,
apart from the four home nations other fas are looking for any excuse to try and bring this to the fifa table,with more countries now in fifa if they can get rid of a few threats to get them to the glamour stage ie world cup finals the better for them
jack warner who is on the main commitee at fifa brought this up a few years ago(the same jack warner who got caught selling wc final tickets for huge profits)
so a bit of fun as you put it could seriously bring about the end
google jerome valcke it will open your eyes
whats the matter you hey
gotta no respect hey
awshadupayaface

NewBlue
Reserve Team Regular

Post by NewBlue » Thu Mar 26, 2009 11:21 pm

Hmmm. Perhaps i was a little niave. Thanks for the education :D
I am now thinking it doesn't look like that good a prospect after all......

ELLON BRANCH
International Regular

Post by ELLON BRANCH » Thu Mar 26, 2009 11:43 pm

I think the other consideration is the fact that the Olympics are being held in England, getting a team entered into the competition was probably seen as a possible way to re-coup some of the hundreds of millions that the WHOLE of the UK is going to be out of pocket by having them. It has been brought up in the past but without the same vigour as now, a UK team would not have had the same chance of raising revenue if it had been entered for Bejing. We may not be likely to win anything on our own but we are better doing it with our own identity intact.

jossy99
S-Form

Post by jossy99 » Sat Mar 28, 2009 3:42 pm

team GB :?

no thanks

James
S-Form

Post by James » Sat Mar 28, 2009 6:22 pm

The fact that a GB team has been suggeted for the Olympics is appalling as far as I am concerned!

It would require a GB FA to be formed and it would be the death of English, Scottish, Irish football (Wales isn't a proper country and they have enough of their teams dirtying the English league system anyway) as well as going a long way to dilute the National identity of each of the countries I've just mentioned (except Wales).

The main reason I would have not to create this GB FA is it would royaly piss of FIFA as they've been after our FA's to merge and create one league system and one nation to compete in International qualification and tournaments.

yorkshire toon
Youth Team Starter

Post by yorkshire toon » Mon Mar 30, 2009 4:28 pm

James wrote:The main reason I would have not to create this GB FA is it would royaly piss of FIFA as they've been after our FA's to merge and create one league system and one nation to compete in International qualification and tournaments.
Haven't they just proposed a new European super league where the top teams would abandon domestic leagues and go play in some European league, therefore getting rid of competition in the Domestic leagues and making the Uefa cup pointless aswell. Is it to eradicate competition? Or is it just Platini being so fed up that the French league is so awful?

Just another point, if Celtic and Rangers went to join this league, would that mean that they would re-shuffle the whole Scottish league system?

P.S. I'm AGAINST the GB olympic team.
Press alt+f4 for a suprise.

James
S-Form

Post by James » Mon Mar 30, 2009 5:52 pm

It's all about money. Just think how much it would cost Rangers to fly their team for an away game against AC Milan and then have another away game the weekend after in Bucharest for instance. There'd be little away support and a lot of clubs would go out of business just paying out the insurance on all their players!