Morning all

This is the place for any topics not related to Peterhead FC. Almost anything goes
Jonblue
Reserve Team Regular
Supports: Peterhead

Morning all

Post by Jonblue » Fri Sep 24, 2010 9:41 am

Or should I say fit like! Have just stumbled on this side in a search for news on Peterheid. Usually tune into the Buchanie website but it's hardly worth the bother and usually nae workin. Let me introduce myself. I left Peterheid ower 40 years ago and moved doon sooth but every week without fail chec kthe toon's result. Every week as a loon I used to stan in the lang grass at the Rec opposite the stand. When I last visited the rec afterma 20 year absence nothing had changed and the same puckle o blokes were standing there -- loyal to the end! My favourite player was Billy Weir, a magic player and it was great to see popey'se photos of Billy at a reunion. I have been tae the new ground a few times but somehow it's nae the same -- for me onywey. Happy days!

I wis intrigued by popeye's accounts of the Italian families. Some of the photos looked like something out of the Godfather. They were great families and my mither was a great friend of one of the daughters of the Bicocci family -- probably wrong spelling.

I guess the old town has smartened up a lot ower the years and I have been up every year but a lot of the old character seems to have gone and new buildings seem piecemeal. Am disappointed in the auld harbour area where many auld building are boarded up. A' the southern ports have been done up with some new housing in the old style if ye ken fit a mean. I hope to goodness they dont demolish these old buidings as they have real character. Theer still seems a lack of imagaiunation in the toon or am I being arrogant in terms of preserving its character tho' I see the Scottish Housing Trust are doing good things in St Andrew's Street. A lot of folk rubbish the town but I think it has tremendous potential but lacks imagination by planners -- it has always suffered in this respect. However as soon as the bus from Abairdeen passes the Lido I feel at home!

Alan
Three-time Prediction King!

Re: Morning all

Post by Alan » Fri Sep 24, 2010 4:12 pm

Welcome to the Forum Jonblue.
An excellent first post and I hope you become a regular viewer and contributer.

Jonblue
Reserve Team Regular
Supports: Peterhead

Re: Morning all

Post by Jonblue » Fri Sep 24, 2010 5:54 pm

Thanks Alan. I must admit I am out of touch with the Blues but it was great trawling through this site which has brought back many happy memories of the club. I have an affection for the old town which seems to be expanding at a great speed. I hope it does not lose any more character. They lost the plot with the town centre by the old Regal cinema site but perhaps that's just sentiment on my part and times have moved on. Other NE towns appear to have been ' modernised' far better and more in character than Peterhead which seems a bit of a hot potch. Once these old granite buildings go, there is no going back! People in my neck of the woods would go mad over the beaches, particularly ower the watter. I am always amazed they seem to be empty! Count your blessings!