Main Site Feedback

Got a suggestion for how the site could be improved? Tell us here!

Registration NOT required for this section.
Nev
The Boss
Supports: Peterhead

Main Site Feedback

Post by Nev » Fri Nov 17, 2006 1:24 am

I've moved this to the football forum as there's been no feedback in the Site Comments section.

It's getting to that time again where the main website for the club needs a facelift. Not that I think there's much wrong with it, but I think it should be freshened up every couple of years anyway.

What I'm looking for are suggestions. Are you happy with the width of the main content area? Are the colours right? Fonts, pictures (yes, I know I've promised match photos :P) etc. Are thre any sites you like the look of that I could maybe borrow some ideas from?

One thing I'll definitely be looking to do is to have "home" and "away" styles for the site. There's an example at http://www.last.fm where if you click the "switch" at the top (you'll only see it if you're registered with them, it seems), the site changes from pink to black. It'd be a similar sort of idea here. Would anyone be interested in that and use it?

Any other comments are more than welcome, but I'll be concentrating on the design and layout in the meantime. You've all seen I'm keen to try new things, such as the photo gallery on the Paterson/Cooper story, so if there's any problems related to the display of content just now, or any ideas to improve things, let me know.

Catweasel
Youth Team Starter

Post by Catweasel » Tue Nov 28, 2006 10:22 am

One of the best features I have enjoyed on the site / forum this year was the editorials and feedback for Paul Mathers. For me (working 6 weeks at a time in Nigeria) it gave me a sense of being on the inside and involved with what was going on in the club.

I work for a company called AMEC, that has recently appointed a new CEO. This guy manages to find the time to write a very personal weekly update to all staff, providing info such as:
- describing his vision for the co. and the drivers behind it
- commending areas where we are doing well
- giving some advance notice of impending changes
- outlining those areas where as a company we need to improve.

If you replace "company" with "club" I would particularly enjoy a weekly update from Patterson / Cooper in terms of direction etc.

This would also assist the club in removing some of the speculative rumours from the fanbase. It might even demonstrate that the manager(s) value the site/forum and are willing to listen to the considered views of the fans, virtually all of whom have a longer stakeholding in PFC than they do.

Just a thought
Last time at Balmoor I realised .... I am not a polar bear!!

Bluetooner
Reserve Team Captain

Post by Bluetooner » Tue Nov 28, 2006 1:59 pm

That is a good point. Is there any indication that the new managerial staff are going to continue with such a procedure? as it was always interesting to read Pauls thoughts. :)

Otherwise, more on topic, i actually really like the layout but im a very unimaginative person, so not the best to ask. :D
COME ON THE BLUE TOON

Barry

Nev
The Boss

Post by Nev » Tue Nov 28, 2006 5:02 pm

I'll certainly see what the new management team are willing to do on that score.

On a similar note, would there be any interest in a Q&A forum, such as the one on PTFC.net? Basically questions are posted for the chairman and at the end of each month they're passed on to him by the site administrator to be answered.

I can't put any names forward from the club as I've yet to ask if it would be possible, but would there be an interest in this?

Bluetooner
Reserve Team Captain

Post by Bluetooner » Tue Nov 28, 2006 9:44 pm

Yup there would be. It is all along the same lines, getting communication between fans and the people in charge. Is there any way of getting a hold of players for some quotes about the game? :?: or do a fun thing like favourite films and such like :?:
COME ON THE BLUE TOON

Barry

Nev
The Boss

Post by Nev » Tue Nov 28, 2006 10:19 pm

It can be possible to get player quotes, but can also be sketchy - I have to phone through a report for the Sunday Mail ASAP after the match, and often that can mean finishing just as the player leave Balmoor.

Bluetooner
Reserve Team Captain

Post by Bluetooner » Tue Nov 28, 2006 10:46 pm

Nev wrote:It can be possible to get player quotes, but can also be sketchy - I have to phone through a report for the Sunday Mail ASAP after the match, and often that can mean finishing just as the player leave Balmoor.
It doesnt have to be after the match, any time through the week would be great (maybe the captain is the best to ask for this).
COME ON THE BLUE TOON

Barry

Nev
The Boss

Post by Nev » Wed Nov 29, 2006 1:42 am

Bluetooner wrote:Otherwise, more on topic, i actually really like the layout but im a very unimaginative person, so not the best to ask. :D
Back to this bit, nothing off the NFL sites you like? I'm quite keen on the big pics at the top of the lead stories with the smaller ones underneath, and then older headlines underneath.

Quotes/interviews during the week are something I'd like to try more, but until I get a job (:lol:) I can't afford to do the phoning round, and when I have one I'm not sure I'll be able to commit to it! It's something that's in my mind though.

Bluetooner
Reserve Team Captain

Post by Bluetooner » Wed Nov 29, 2006 3:44 pm

Nev wrote:
Bluetooner wrote:Otherwise, more on topic, i actually really like the layout but im a very unimaginative person, so not the best to ask. :D
Back to this bit, nothing off the NFL sites you like? I'm quite keen on the big pics at the top of the lead stories with the smaller ones underneath, and then older headlines underneath.
I dont actually look at the NFL Sites. The only non Work sites i access are Hotmail, PnB and here :lol:
COME ON THE BLUE TOON

Barry

Catweasel
Youth Team Starter

Post by Catweasel » Fri Dec 01, 2006 12:35 pm

THe idea of a Q&A page is nice, but a word of caution. These things need to have protocols and be moderated otherwise they can end up as a very personal bitching vehicle.

I would also like to see a "PFC Supporter's Player of the Month" based on voting buttons on the site. Anything that gets more of the fans involved would be good. I think Stirling Albion operate or used to operate something of this nature.

Also perhaps a series of biogs of some of the people that work in the club. Not just the players but also the junior players and backroom staff. I know nothing about Shona other than the fact that the club would struggle to operate without her.

We are a small provincial family type club, I guess our website should be a reflection of that - up close and personal.

Catweasel
Youth Team Starter

Post by Catweasel » Fri Dec 01, 2006 12:45 pm

One other thing just came to mind, which is probably more for peeps like me that spend long periods of time away from home.

It would be quite nice on a Monday to be able to electronically access the Match Program from the previous Saturday's game. I realise that this would probably only be possible for home games due to copywrite etc. But it would be nice to catch up on my half-time reading, even if it is two days late.

It need not be too onerous either as we need not publish the advertisements on the site, only the articles. On the other hand, we may give the advertisers the choice to pay a little extra and have their advert on the web-program as well as the printed one. Might be an opportunity for a little extra revenue for the club.

Not sure how practical this is. Would be interested in your thoughts Nev.

Nev
The Boss

Post by Nev » Fri Dec 01, 2006 2:56 pm

Catweasel wrote:One other thing just came to mind, which is probably more for peeps like me that spend long periods of time away from home.

It would be quite nice on a Monday to be able to electronically access the Match Program from the previous Saturday's game. I realise that this would probably only be possible for home games due to copywrite etc. But it would be nice to catch up on my half-time reading, even if it is two days late.

It need not be too onerous either as we need not publish the advertisements on the site, only the articles. On the other hand, we may give the advertisers the choice to pay a little extra and have their advert on the web-program as well as the printed one. Might be an opportunity for a little extra revenue for the club.

Not sure how practical this is. Would be interested in your thoughts Nev.
I've got a similar idea noted down for a meeting I should be having in the next week or so to discuss aspects of the site ;) Not so much based on the match programme but more to increase/focus the output from the club by pooling resources with all the existing media sources.

In relation to publishing articles from the programme, there are obviously the copyright issues you allude to (even for home programmes as these are prepared and printed by The Buchanie), but I'm pretty certain they could be overcome, even if it was just one or two articles. I'll certainly suggest it.

With regards to the fiorst of those two posts, the Q&A would of course be tightly moderated were it to go ahead. I've a format in my head but we'll have to see if I can rope anyone into doing it :lol: :lol:

The supporters player of the month thing is certainly possible. We used to have a similar feature for man of the match, but it was sadly abused and discontinued after a season. There's could be similar pitfalls, but it's worth a try!

Behind the Scenes profiles are certainly another thing that sounds interesting - and could provide the answer to a question I've seen asked on this forum a few times - "What does Dave Watson actually do?" :lol: :lol:

Blueblazer
Three-time Prediction King!

Post by Blueblazer » Mon Dec 04, 2006 3:41 pm

It is my belief that none of the board are users of this web-site. If that is correct, I would suggest writing the chairman or the local press regarding the state of lights, toilets or indeed any other work that may be required
Popeye makes a good point on another thread that there is currently no way of communicating problems like these to the club. Perhaps there could be a way of bringing matters that would benefit the club to the attention of the appropriate people. Obviously it would have to be filtered and silly things like " get rid of Gillfillan" :wink: excluded.

I remember a while ago there was the situation of people entering the ground for free through the toilets and it was complaints on this board that put a stop to it. I am sure that some things could be dealt with quickly and quietly and not plastered all over the local press.
Blueblazer :
Prediction League Champion 2002/2003; 2006/2007; 2013/2014

Bloomogganer
S-Form

suggestions for sight

Post by Bloomogganer » Sun Feb 18, 2007 11:15 pm

Hi Nev
I was going thru the site and saw your post for ideas to change things a wee bit.I have followed the toon since the days of FOSS,TURNER,COWIE ,ANDERSON and so on.Dont suppose you remember them but they are part of the the clubs history.What i am getting at is why not invite players from the bygone era to come to a game and give thier points of view on the present team.I know it might be a wee bit hard to find them nowadays but the likes of Dougal Summers ,Brian Third,(Inverallochy golf club ) Billy Weir ( phd golf club ) would be found easily enough.Its a bit strange that none of the ex players apart from Eddie Forman seem to come to the games any more.Surely some of the directors can get in touch with these great names of the past and persuade them to come along to a game and be introduced to the crowd before a game and then given the respect and recognition they deserve,it might even inspire the present team to give that wee bit extra,and i'm sure if it were advertised it would bring a few more supporters thru the gates.I dont think any other club has tried this so why not give it a go.Even a certain W.Miller started off as a striker for Phd,F.C. so surely Mr Paterson would welcome the likes of him along.Just to whet the appetite of the older folk how about seeing Alan Proctor,Johnny Anderson,Ace Ohara + McIntyre back in the Bloo Toon.
Ok Kev got a wee bit carried away there but there is a distinct lack of pashion at Balmoor these days and bringing in new players just does not seem to fire up the crowd so why not give the old boys a chance.

FOR THE GOOD OF THE TEAM

recreation2
Youth Team Captain

Bluemogganer Golden Oldies

Post by recreation2 » Wed Feb 28, 2007 8:06 pm

Bluemogganers idea re players from the past has a lot of merit and certainly worth a bit of groundwork and research. We keep getting told the bulk of the support is of the older generation, but this would be of interest to the younger folk as well.Sadly,we have lost several players who served the club with distinction, Stirling Foss, Doddie Buchan, John Anderson( I think ),spring to mind,but Billy Weir,Dougal Summers and several others are sociable,outgoing type of guys and would in all probability be receptive to being approached about this, I seem to recall seeing ,in recent years, a photo of a get together of veteran players in the old social club,so that might be a starting point. Might even be able to incorporate this into the match sponsors day?

Catweasel
Youth Team Starter

Post by Catweasel » Sun Mar 04, 2007 12:48 pm

How are you doing with ringing the changes. Some good ideas here, will be nice to see the face lift when it happens.

Bloomogganer
S-Form

Post by Bloomogganer » Wed Mar 21, 2007 12:15 am

I AM A WEE BIT PEEVED THAT NEV HAS NOT REPLIED TO MY POST YET . SEEMS ALL IS HUNKY DORY WITH THE SITE

Nev
The Boss

Post by Nev » Wed Mar 21, 2007 2:16 pm

Apologies, Bloomogganer, for not getting back to you. Rest assured your suggestions have been taken on board, and will be considered along with all others.

Updates on progress of the new website as they happen... :wink:

Nev
The Boss

Post by Nev » Thu May 17, 2007 2:58 am

Here's a wee sample of one of the features that's being worked on at the moment Clicky.

At the moment, it includes everyone who has made an appearance for the club in the SFL, bar a few of the guys from last season I've been unable to get full details of. In time, each of the names in the list will link to a brief profile of the player.

There some blanks in the data at the moment as the information about clubs and dates was in places a wee bit sparse, so if anyone can help...

muppet
Youth Team Captain

Post by muppet » Sat Jun 02, 2007 9:01 am

who's gonna be the website header noo,since doogie's gan to be deein' the monster mash at new bayview next season? :? :wink: